Tuesday, July 11, 2017

My Friday Night

My shoulder was bothering me last night so I didn't sleep very well,.  I got up and did my usual morning routine at 4:30 AM. 

I had to go to work.  We did that, got it all done (yes, things are still very slow), and came home.  I took a nap. 

Torbie and Biscuit joined me.  Biscuit is becoming quite the lap cat, it's very endearing.  He's in a basket nearby sleeping. 

I got up at 12:30 and got ready to go to the dentist.  As you may recall, I chipped something on a back tooth last week, while eating fish, of all things.  I had a new, sharp, edge that cut the inside of my cheek whenever I drank anything. 

I thought it was my new filling and decided I had better get it checked out.  So, we went to the dentist. 

As it turns out, I chipped the tooth itself, and not the filling.  All he had to do was trim down the sharp edge with some sort of grinding thing.  It didn't even hurt. 

Best of all, it only cost me $6 with my dental discount plan.  We pay about $100 a year, and we get discounts on various procedures.  My filling, cleaning, and x-rays all together cost $161 last month.  Ron's root canal cost about a thousand, his extraction cost about $90 (on the tooth that broke from eating trail mix).  I think it's a good deal. 

We left and I pushed Ron, in his wheelchair, to the Walmart.  Towards the end he said "I should have put on my hat".  Yeah, well it's a little late now, we're almost at the door. 

They didn't have an available kiddie cart so I left him by the plastic bag recycling station and did my shopping.  First stop, pharmacy.  I got my prescriptions, all 4 of them, they cost about $85 for all of it.  So, I run about $85 a month.  I checked it all. 

I have my reasons.  Harriet [same last name] and I have the same month and day birthdate.  So one time they gave me her diabetes medications.  Another time my doctor's intern called in sleeping pills and antianxiety medication, which are both highly addictive and nothing I want anywhere near my life. 

So, I check.  Lithium, Haldol, Wellbutrin, and Depakote.  All there.  Good. 

Then I went to get Ron's "patch cord".  I asked him if he wanted a gay cord, male to male, and he laughed.  Yes, he said, he needed one with a male at eat end, stereo plugs, 3.5 mm. 

Years ago I applied to work at a Radio Shack.  I told the manager I was a ham radio operator.  He said he would hire me on the spot if I walked into the store.  Because I knew how things worked. 

I never took the job but it was nice to know I was in demand.  Ron has taught me a little about electronics so I knew what he wanted. 

I did call him, did he want the 4 footer, or the 6 foot?  $2 difference.  He said he wanted the 6 foot. 

Then he said he wanted more t-shirts with pockets, so I got him 4 more. 

Why, Hello!  I just found Torbie under my chair.  What a sweet girl. 

I am thinking, strongly, about doing the paleo diet.  Meats, vegetables, and fruit.  No dairy or grains.  I think it is something do-able if I can find some precooked meats.  I'm still exploring the idea.  I would be doing this mainly for my health and not for any weight loss.  If I lose weight, great, if I gain weight, I would stop, but I just mainly want to get more energy, lose the headaches, etc. 

Walmart lost power the other night during a bad thunderstorm so I didn't have a lot of selection, but I did pick up some coconut oil (the kind for cooking) and some olive oil).  Those are the "good" paleo oils they want you to use. 

They also suggest avocado but I hate avocados, they make me gag and I don't like the flavor.  I can't imagine the oil is going to be any better. 

I could have bought some walnuts, if I had thought of it, but I can do that at Sam's on Saturday.  I like walnuts, they are full of healthy oils, fiber, and have a nice crunch. 

Let's just hope I don't break any more teeth on them! 

I can't believe I  broke a tooth, eating fish, of all things. 

Doc did a good job of grinding it down, though.  I was worried he would have to redo the filling.  My goal is to stay out of the dentist's chair as much as possible for as long as I can.  Ron spends enough at the dentist. 

He told me today he thought he was getting an abscess.  I told him to take some olive leaf.  He did and it got better, so I will remind him to keep it up with the olive leaf until he can get to the dentist. 

And, of course, I still need to take Torbie in for her shots and yearly exam.  Last month was more "emergent" treat the symptoms kind of deal.  Her weight is at a healthy level, though, which is great, and she has a great personality.  I don't care if she ever gets in my lap but I love it when she sleeps with me, and she's figured this out. 

So, we have a good time, Torbie, Biscuit, and me.  It does get pretty crowded, though. 

So I got all my Walmart stuff, and Ron's.  I bought another case of cat food.  The way I figure, I can never have too much.  I still have plenty of cat food plates, although I guess I could have used another package. 

I paid and got some food.  Ron said he wanted a "small" chicken nuggets and a drink so I went ahead and bought him a Happy Meal.  He enjoyed it.  I got a 10 piece chicken nugget and a large vanilla shake. 

We had a little trouble, though.  None of our regular cab drivers could take us home (Ron had forgotten to make a trip, yesterday).  So we had to call Yellow Cab direct.  A driver took the trip, but he was a ways away.  It took him about 10-15 minutes to get there. 

In the meantime a very friendly Uber driver pulled up, asking if we needed a ride.  We told him we already had one with Yellow.  He seemed like a nice guy; I would feel safe having him drive us/me around.  I may install the app because the Yellow Cab app never seems to work for me. 

We finally got our ride, he made sure it was a cash trip, no paratransit.  We agreed.  I put the wheelchair in the back and the groceries in the main compartment of the cab.  We had a quick ride home, he was very nice. 

I put everything away, Biscuit went nuts when he saw the cat food but it wasn't dinnertime yet, AND he still had food in his bowl.  I don't believe in wasting food. 

I did some organizing, cleaning, etc.  I inspired Ron to clean the litter box in his room.  He is really bad about cleaning it but amazingly the cats still use it.  I took out some garbage.  I put away the new stuff from the store the day I got it, yay me. 

I have tomorrow off but we aren't doing much.  I got my tooth fixed today, and went to Walmart already, so I don't "have" to go anywhere for the next couple of days. 

It's my weekend.  I would much rather have days off during the week than have them on the weekend along with everyone else. 

1 comment:

Spankadoo said...

Uber is great and a good bargain
I love the vision of you and the kitties
Good you check your meds I do too I actually open the bottles and compare it to the description of the tablet on the sticker because manufacturers change for generics and I am find with those but need to know. I am getting Zantac for my stomach and not Xanax like you said no going down that addiction road not when we know where it leads.
So glad your dental was not a huge deal and only $6 wow!

A trip to the hematologist

I slept OK but woke up really tired.  I hit the snooze alarm a few times, much to Biscuit's disgust.  But I'm getting ahead of mys...