Sunday, September 6, 2015

Victory in Jesus Bible Handout

[Because I went to Victory and Antoine] 

When I go in the bathroom these days, I generally find Ron has left a crime scene.  I clean it up, cursing the tumor and the havoc it's wreaking, wondering how he's still alive after losing so much blood. 

So, as I sat on the toilet, looking at the awfulness that is my bathroom trash can, and thinking [censor] you, Devil. 

As bad as I feel, others are out there, feeling even worse, because they DON'T have Jesus (yet!). 

I loaded up my tote bag, got my bus pass, and headed out into the door.  I should have taken a couple salt tabs first, and brought a bottle of water,  but I was a little upset. 

Anyway, I missed the bus, of course.  I had to wait in suffocating humidity and full sun for half an hour.  Thank God "Powder Fresh" deodorant really does the job. 

I got distracted riding and thought I might have missed the stop.  If I had, I would have gone to De Soto (the name that makes professional drivers pale, it's so "bad"), instead of Victory. 

But, I didn't miss it.  I got out there, handing my first Bible to the driver, explaining my husband was "very sick, and handing these out makes me feel better".  True. 

I had a small sign, like the one Ron is holding.  I had a large tote bag with 20 (now) Bibles, a mixture of English and Spanish.  I wore a burgundy t-shirt, my black capris, and cheap sneakers. 

It was pretty slow at first, but I handed out the remaining 20 Bibles in half an hour! 

Spanish families: Espanol for the adults, English for the kids - I had a couple like that.  And people say they don't assimilate!  :p 

I had a couple of "Scary thug" types with gold teeth, gang colors or white-tshirts (ghetto neutral, I think).  They were all very appreciative and thankful. 

I told one man, walking by, a Bible would look really good with his groceries, then offered it.  He took it. 

I told another man my (green) Bible would look "really good" in his burgundy truck.  He was surprisingly soft-spoken as he thanked me. 

One guy was blasting filthy rap at the do-yourself carwash, but he came by for a Bible afterward. 

I had a woman who looked completely exhausted and depressed, baskets of laundry in the backseat of her rickety car, gave me a lovely smile as I handed her and the man each a Bible. 

As I was finishing, I had a carload of Spanish, who took the last of that.  I had my last 3 English in my hand when a middle-eastern looking guy came running up and asked for them - intently.  "Please!" he said a couple times.  Well, I'm not making anyone beg.  I gave him the last 3 and he was really happy.  Then I showed him my bag was empty and he left with a smile.  He had parked and run over. 

I had a couple people say no, looking at me.  I pretended to be "very sad" and put on my best tragic face, which made a couple of them laugh. 

Then I went to Shipleys and ate an apple fritter half the size of my cat! 

Please pray for the recipients! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want a great big apple fritter! Heather, checking in , glad you got out and did what makes you feel alive and strong.