Friday, May 2, 2014

He's pretty skinny

I wasn't happy with the tone of my first post, so I deleted it. 

The neighbor is remodeling.  Again.  It is very loud. 

I don't understand the constant remodeling mindset.  Sure, if you hate the cabinets when you buy the house, but changing them out every couple years? 

I really don't understand women who spend hours online everyday trying to find the perfect drapes, or thing, for their house.   Women who paint every year. 

It seems manic.  Ron says they are sexually frustrated.  I don't know about that - but with my energy level I do well to mow the yard before I get "the letter" from the homeowner's association. 

Torbie just jumped up to say hello.  What a sweet girl.  She loves us so much.  I really pity the person who gave her up. 

Professional victims.  As you know, a news story came out about a vet who had supposedly euthanized a dog, but kept it alive for treatment. 

I mentioned a few times, on various threads, I have always stayed.  One, I wanted to make sure they got the pain meds.  Second, I didn't want to leave them with a stranger.  Thirdly, I wanted to make sure they died. 

When I left the room, both times, the cat was dead.  I didn't want the body, or the ashes, or any of that.  I don't believe in shrine-making. 

It was harder to get the terminal diagnosis.  For me, my only peace came in knowing I could end it, would end it, and would pet my baby as they went to God.  Once they died I could move on to my next cat. 

This afternoon I turned on my computer to a hysterical post from a woman screaming about "judgemental people attacking her because she wasn't there when she put her pet down".  I hardly know the woman.  I certainly didn't attack her.  In fact, to me, it seemed rather crazy to take a post I had written about what I did for my cats and turn it into an attack on herself. 

Rather than respond in public, I sent her a private message referring to her as a "professional victim" who took my comments out of context, stated I did not want someone like that in my life (she's gotten all worked up about other things, too, this wasn't the first time - just the first time it pointed at me).  I mentioned I should have expected it as she was a member of the "Professional victims" group. 

A good example of that.  One member wanted a government job, yet kept posting scathing attacks on the government, the president, etc., even after I warned her.  Guess what?  I doubt she got the job.  Cue victim: I tried, but... why?  Life is so hard...  Cue: paranoia and more scathing attacks on government. 

I don't even have to read it, I saw enough during my time in the group.  I can't stand people who set themselves up to be victims, then scream helpless victim when it happens.  It just makes me boil.  Maybe because I have been victimized through no fault of my own. 

I REALLY can't abide the people who beg for money.  "Oh, my electricity is off, and I'm out of dog food.  I'm not working, but God will provide".    I think the no-dog-food post got her the most money, before I blocked her. 

I do block them, now.  I get angry if I don't. 

We have day labor centers.  If I needed some quick cash, $60 or so for a whole day's work, I could go to the center.  They do everything from phone work, envelope stuffing, to standing on a corner dressed like a giant shrimp wearing a "Now open" sign.  [laugh]  That would be a good job if I were manic. 

I mean, for everything's sake look at Ron.  He is blind.  He has a hearing loss.  He has a head injury.  he is partly paralyzed on his right side.  He is using a wheelchair due to a back issue.  Yet, he's working. 

I sometimes think he has ruined me for every other man.  Ron's finally going to see a doctor about his back.  Good. 

He doesn't want pain meds, thank God.  He knows that could end very badly. 

Praise God for that. 

I just hope Ron and I can handle the truth, whatever it is.  I also pray we can get a quick and accurate diagnosis.  Worst case, it doesn't get better, we get a grant to widen the bathroom door.  Or get Ron a smaller wheelchair.  He's pretty skinny. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a chronic remodeler never knew it bothered anyone ..I just love researching learning how and doing projects and try to make my house look fresh and nice. Not mania I just love to do remodel work, it is my hobby like gardening or cooking. Sorry to think it gets on someones nerves I will be more careful about how I talk about it or the noise I make. thanks

Heather Knits said...

Well, look at it this way. For nearly a decade Ron and I haven't even been able to replace a leaky kitchen faucet. Imagine how I feel when someone goes on about "only" spending 5K in fixtures.

Imagine getting up at 3 AM to go to work, getting home at 2, and desperately needing a nap. But they're doing demo, again, next door.

AGH.

Anonymous said...

Wow," envy"? I work my ass off and upcycle everything, and I have the means, just feel irresponsible buying new things if I can repurpose. Well good luck heather. Sorry remodelers get on your nerves, we all have pet peeves :) mine have to do more with cob webs than people.

Heather Knits said...

You don't understand poverty versus cheap. Cheap is getting something out of the neighbor's trash and refinishing it. You're cheap, way to go.

Do you have to wash your dishes in cold water because you can't afford to replace the kitchen faucet?

Did you have to take your morning shower in a caving-in, disgusting shower enclosure, for 8 years, because you couldn't afford to get it demolished, repaired, and retiled?

Do you stand over the toilet every time with the plunger in hand praying God for it not to flood this time? Talking wistfully with your husband, how, when "things get better we'll get a *good* toilet"?

That's poverty.

Jillian said...

Ugh..that would bug me, too. I honestly don't get chronic remodelers either. My big pet peeve are "lawn people"and our neighborhood is full of them..ie people paying to have horrible chemicals sprayed on the lawn so it looks like astro turf, mowing a postage-stamp aized area of grass every day when it doesn't need it, etc. I think a lot of this is society's message, that we " have to" have a brand new set of cabinets every year or a day glo green lawn. It's ridiculous.