Saturday, May 24, 2014

Baby comes first

I don't discuss the neighbor's routine, because I wouldn't want them talking about mine.  I'd feel hideous if something happened, and tracked back to me. 

I will say I don't "get" the new "Letting the smallest kids run around, shout, and cry at 8PM and later in the backyard by Heather's bedroom." thing.  But, they stopped kicking the ball into the (side of my) house.  I think the latest fence repair (it must have cost them at least $200 +) has put and end to that, for now. 

I just want to go to bed when I want to go to bed, but I can't always have that happen. 

Anyway, this morning found me sleeping in, skipping my God Time (got it later), taking my shower, and going to Walmart.  I went to the garden center and looked around.  I was hoping to get some Coleus. 



They are pretty foolproof in Houston summers, and prefer light shade.  They'll last through the summer and die off before Halloween. 

Since we have a "good house" reputation, kids come trampling through the front garden every year.  I don't want to put a "precious" out there. 

I also find it eerie and disturbing - every, and I mean every, front yard garden on my block features impatiens.  They're fine.  In someone else's yard, but I never much cared for them. 

I guess I'd be planting them if I were properly assimilated. 

I didn't find any coleus (I would have bought them if I had), but I did see a nice purple geranium.  I seriously considered it and maybe some marigolds.  Then I realized I was manic. 

Now, a plant is a living thing.  Was I going to water it EVERY day?  And how? 

I had a problem with a muslim cab driver doing his ritual washing in my driveway everyday, I used zip ties to tie off my spigot.  How was I going to use the faucet and keep others from doing the same?  I have to pay for that water, you know. 

 I also envisioned the poor purple geranium on Halloween.  It wouldn't end well for the plant.  I'd have to dig it up (a trauma).  I'd also have to protect it when we have freezes. 

I wasn't ready for that level of commitment.  I got my stuff.  Another pair of insoles, full length.  Milk.  Cereal.  Breakfast biscuits.  Rubber bands.  Cat treats. 

I ended up in line behind another metrolift client.  She is married to an alcoholic.  He used to come out to the vehicle, take the beer in the house, and shut the door, leaving his wife and the driver to move the rest of the groceries.  I couldn't help but overhear other loud and dramatic episodes. 

She used to get lots and lots of stuff, because she only makes the one weekly trip.  Metrolift finally stopped that, so she uses a folding handcart now.  She puts all her stuff in the handcart and puts herself down as "wheelchair (handcart) plus ambulatory client". 

First, if you don't work, why not come in the middle of the week?  We always shop on the weekend?  The trips aren't as good, either. 

Second, she is a cat owner.  She was complaining recently the one cat vomits a lot.  I told her she might want to change to a grain free food.  I had noted she was buying the absolute cheapest cat food, the kind with all the grain fillers. 

"OH, I can't make a trip to a pet store for speciality food".  (Why not?  Metrolift goes there, that's how we do it.  It's not like she's working.)  I told her Walmart had something that worked pretty well.  I used it for Bubba and he loved it. 

"Oh, it's too expensive."  Fine. 

Today she bought 2 cases of beer, 3 bottles of wine at $10 each, two packages of cigarettes, tons of junk food, etc.  And the smallest, cheapest, bag of cat food on the shelf.  Her total came to well over $130. 

I was pretty furious.  If she'd put back 2 bottles of wine, or a case of beer, she could have bought a 25 pound bag of grain free dry cat food. 

I guess that's just not a priority, having a healthy pet eating the right foods. 

I didn't say much until she left, then I vented at the cashier.  The cashier didn't even like cats, but agreed "Baby comes first".  

I hope it gets sick on her pillow. 

Happily we didn't have to ride with her.  We came home and I took a nap.  I was having some trouble with depression today. 

I'm not so hopeless, just fatigued and loss of interest. 

When I got up, I decided to mow the backyard.  Ron wanted to help.  I think he had been drinking before I got up.  He basically got pretty drunk and insisted on "helping" - translated, getting in my way while I worked. 

Our lawnmower is pretty sick.  We need to either: 1. Repair current working lawnmower, the corded electric.  2.  Get a new battery (as advised by electrician friend) for the battery operated lawnmower.  3.  Buy a new lawnmower.  or 4.  Hire yard guys. 

I think 1 or 2 will be the cheapest.  Ron likes 3 or 4.  He really likes 4 because he won't have to watch me "slaving in the heat". 

Yeah, he was pretty loose but he does love me.  When we got inside, Ron rolled past the back of my chair and freaked because he couldn't feel my ponytail.  I had to take it out of the clip and show him.  Then he kept petting it like a cat and telling me I was pretty. 

It was pretty cute. 

No comments: