Friday, May 23, 2014

Some vending tips

You may work in vending.  If so, here are my tips. 

Ron and I have managed our "stand" for about 13 years now.  Prior to that, back in the late 90's, we built our own computers.  The computer experience has come in handy. 

A lot of people think vending is "meathead" work, for a strong back and a weak mind.  Or it's an easy, turnkey way to make a lot of money with minimal effort. 

We know better, don't we?  [grin] 

So, my tips:

  • Older machines are best.  My favorite snack and food machine are both old Rowes.  The only problem with that, though, is finding parts.  The simpler, the better. 
  • If something isn't working, check connections.  It may have gotten unplugged when a customer beat it up.  Also try to replug things into the motherboard, etc.  I've saved a lot of service calls. 
  • Clean the machines daily.  Glass cleaner works best on the snack machine glass fronts, and also bottled vendor.  I just use a basic citrus glass cleanser I bought at the Dollar store. 
  • Don't wear perfume or cologne. It can stick to the merchandise and may aggravate a customer's health condition. Don't use piney-type cleansers.  Customers hate them.  Ask me how I know.  I haven't had that many complaints since the coffee machine went down. 
  • You can use the bottom of your snack machines to store merchandise, or cleaning supplies, you use often.  I got that tip from a Warden at a Blind Vendor conference (I'm sighted, my husband's blind). 
  • Check the change banks - if it says "Exact Change Only" it's time to refill your bank!  It helps to keep rolled change in the bottom of your snack machine for those events. 
  • Useful supplies: small flashlight, screwdriver (both philips and straight, or get one of the interchangable ones), glass cleaner, knitting needle, paper towels, change bank, silicone grease, knife (for opening boxes), back brace (should be obvious when we do our "meathead" work). 
  • Have a routine.  I walk down my row of machines, checking each of them, the minute I walk into my location.  That was, I can address emergencies like a "down" machine, first thing. 
  • Have a clear refund policy and pay promptly.  If they walk away pissed, odds are they won't be back.  We have too much competition to take our customers for granted! 
  • Stick the soda can in, headfirst.  If you don't they will jam. 
  • If your bottle vendor is choking, you may need to stock less product. 
  • Vary your routine, if possible, so the various shifts can "meet the vendor". 
  • Dress and behave in a professional manner.  No one wants to see a guy with greasy hair stocking sandwiches. 
  • Be vigilant about food safety - keep your cold food cold until you stock it.  Do NOT drive around with cold food product just sitting in your vehicle.  Get a cooler or "cold bag" and keep it cold.  One guy at my location is battling stage 4 cancer - bad food could kill him. 
  • Treat your deliveryman with respect and consideration. So, he's 5 minutes late.  He's making your life a lot easier.  Get him a snack, thank him for coming, and mean it.  I think I've gotten excellent service is because I love my deliveryguys.  They know that and they bust their butts for me. 
  • Personalize your machines, if possible.  I put photos of my husband inside the glass on our snack machines.  I have 2 bad coils in 2 different machines.  I put small stuffed animals in the coils.  The customers love it and comment frequently, grinning as they shovel money into the machine.  One idea - you could glue a Hot Wheels to an interior wall.  Or just put up a small photo of your kids.  People like to know they are supporting a "person". 
  • I also decorate the exterior of the machines, for the holidays.  The customers love it.  I've had a few Dollar Store tinsel trees walk off during Christmas, but overall it's been great. 
  • Use, if possible, a combination of wholesale club, big wholesale delivery company, and small local businessmen.  If one goes "down" you have backups.  The wholesale club is also useful when you sell out unexpectedly - you can make a quick trip and restock that day. 
  • Money.  Your customer, and the average civilian, doesn't realize you probably only "make" 25% of what's in the machine.  They don't realize the wad of cash is probably entirely $1 bills.  People get stupid when they see a big wad of money.  We have to be smart.  Pull the money on a frequent basis, discreetly.  You'd be surprised - I know many experienced vendors who parade large amounts of cash in front of the public.  Not smart.  Take it out and put it away quickly, when it's quiet. 
  • Keep rubberbands on hand for when you take the money out. 
  • On that note, do frequent meter readings for accountability.  Especially if you have an employee.
  • Due to cash control and morality issues, the vendors I know all employ family.  Family, presumably, will not rob you like some guy you hired out of a newspaper.  That's your decision.  Like I said, I work for my husband.  I am the only employee. 
  • Key control.  Best case scenario: you have the ONLY keys, preferably Medecos.  "The only lock I can't pick" one repairman told me.  If you have an employee, with keys, do frequent accountability readings: for instance, take all the money (cash and bills) out of your snack machine. Do a meter reading at the same time, and calculate what you should have.  Count the money.  Does it match?  If not, fire them.  Since we are a family business it doesn't matter.  If anything I buy inventory for work with my own money. 
  • How do I do a meter reading?  Get the total.  When you take money out, get the total.  Subtract the starting total from the finish.  That's your amount.  It should match the cash total you took out of the machine.  My husband did do this randomly for a while at first just to see if I had anything to hide, and I didn't care because I'm honest.  If someone has a problem with you doing this, or hanging onto your keys, you need to run away from that person. 
  • When all else fails, pray over the machine.  This works a surprising amount of the time. 
  • A knitting needle works great to unclog a coffee machine spout (where the powders are released to mix with the hot beverage). 
That's all I've got for now.  I hope this helps! 

No comments: