Sunday, May 18, 2014

Then shut up

I've gotten a gamut of responses to my experience this weekend. 

Some people accuse me of being "bitter and unforgiving".  If they had gone through something similar I might be inclined to listen. 

Others agree the guy's being a butthead. 

The opinions I respect say the guy's bound to be wracked with guilt, knowing and seeing he put Ron in that wheelchair.  I agree, but at this point and time I can't give him the absolution he seems to be seeking.  He needs to look to God's forgiveness, not mine.  At this point and time, I can't make it better.

I'm getting there.  I'm doing everything I can do "absolve" him.  I pray for him.  I wish him well.  More importantly, 99.99% of the time I'm not wishing mayhem on him and his. 

I just don't want any more reminders.  It's hard enough dealing with the aftermath day to day.  It's even harder when I see the guy who apparently "got away with it" walking around in a perfectly intact body, seemingly happy and healthy. 

I'm asking God to work in me, asking God to use me.  Asking God to take bad things out of me and put good things in.  Praying for this guy every day, like it or not. 

Right now, that's all I can do. 

Today I was in a bad mood.  We had to go to Starbucks and pick up Ron's lost keys.  I had a vicious migraine, still do - had migraines all week and really really sick of them. 

Anyway, on our way back we picked up a client.  She was extremely verbally abusive to the driver.  I could hear her screaming at the driver even with the door closed. 

When the driver opened up the doors to the wheelchair lift, she told me the driver was "Really stupid" - driver is right behind her.  The client clearly expected me to agree. 

"You know" I told her "The Metrolift handbook says they will not tolerate abusive behavior.  You are being verbally abusive and the driver has two witnesses to the fact.  You need to stop."  The client began sputtering.  I took out my cell phone.  "I have a cameraphone.  If you start up again I will make a video and send it to the director.  You will lose your service.  You might want to think about that before you say anything." 

The driver grinned hugely. 

"You don't understand" the client replied. "I'm in a wheelchair!"

Ron replied from the back of the van.  "I'm blind AND in a wheelchair.  Are you blind?  No?  Then shut up!" 

I love my husband. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you spoke up! I sure as shit do! Drivers shouldn't be abused ..no one should be

icebear said...

now that made me laugh!

Heather Knits said...

We filed a formal complaint on her today, and a commendation for the driver. They were very interested to hear about it.