Saturday, May 17, 2014

I know God understands - [bad language]

"It's a good thing you didn't have a (baseball) bat at hand." my aunt remarked. 

I agreed. 

Today, as I was unloading the pickup, the guy who ran over Ron came out of the building.  Ron was sitting in his wheelchair facing the building.  The guy, named Roy - I don't see the harm in sharing his first name.  Roy walks right up to Ron, smiling. 

Ron had no idea, of course. 

I wanted to kick his teeth in.   How can you smile I thought bitterly facing the man you put in a wheelchair?

Roy proceeded to make a few lame jokes about Ron having a "good supervisor" as I vigorously unloaded soda onto my handcart.  I said nothing.  Our friend responded and Roy left. 

I was horrified to see Roy get into a big, macho, pickup and drive away.  Our friend tried to make it better by teasingly "hiding" Ron's wheelchair.  I appreciated the gesture, but I was livid. 

"I heard about the truck" he told me ruefully. 

Who would insure a man who ran over a blind man at a red light?

Maybe, a few have responded, he doesn't have insurance. 

It's a good thing I still had an hour of hard manual labor.  I needed to work off the angry. 

Here's what I'd like:

I'd like Roy, if he sees us, to avoid us.

I'd like him not to smile when he sees Ron in the wheelchair.  Ron's inspirational and all that crap but he was plenty inspirational when he could walk.  Back when he was only blind.  Before you ran over him, you asshole. 

Last but not least: don't make jokes.  You crippled my husband for life, and cast me in for some heavy duty caregiving in the process.  You cost Ron his family.  Nothing funny about that. 

Please, for the love of God, leave us alone! 

It's a lot easier for Roy to stay forgiven when he isn't thrown in my face, acting like an asshole. 

God help me, sometimes I wish bad things on those Roy loves, just so he'll know what he put us through.  Then I repent. 

I know God understands. 

No comments: