Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Some wins

I had some wins today. 

I got a small advance on my pay. 

Doc agreed to do a phone appointment tomorrow, saving me a very long crosstown trip with Ron in the wheelchair, during rush hour, in severe weather downpour.   I think he felt OK with that, considering he once termed me "very stable".   Good.  I have a dead terror of that escalator.  3 stories.  I fell down an escalator as a child.  No thanks. 

For my next appointment, Doc is moving so I'll never have to face that horrid thing again. 

We didn't go to the warehouse, due to aforementioned severe weather.  We did go to work.  One of my machines was down, so I fixed it.  Everyone else was fine.  I even had time to clean the microwaves [shudder]. 

We mailed the homeowner's insurance.  $1048.  Not really a "great" policy (high deductibles) but like Ron said, pray God we never need it anyway. 

I also laid down the law on my Facebook.  Some people I know are just snarling and snapping at our president and his administration. The kick is coming.  They just don't see it yet.  I mean, there is no reason to say anyone, much less a leader, has manure brains (he was smart enough to get elected, and reelected).  Yet they said all that and worse.  I just said, if you don't speak of our leaders with respect, can the personal attacks and name-calling, I'm going to have to block (unfollow actually) you.  One responded with more vitrol so I unfollowed her. 

It's like a toxin.  I just don't need ugly thinking in my brain.  Even if it's someone else's.  That is probably my biggest gripe with Ron - his need to verbally express his fatalistic, bitter, frustrated outlook.  So. Done.  I feel fine unfollowing them if I need because, like I said, I just don't need that in my life

However, my self-appointed spiritual adviser tried to draw an analogy with my neighbor and the guy who ran over Ron (he was very vague, but his intent was clear).  First of all, I'm specifically talking politics.  Second, I have never, ever, spoken like that of anyone. The worst I have done lately is direct some very bad language at Snack 3, and I called someone a "bigmouth" on FB - but he didn't read it.  [shrug]  Maybe he wants to point fingers at my thinking so he doesn't have to look at his own.  I don't know.

The knee-jerk, of course, is to "defend" myself.  But you know what?  I'm a Christian.  I have the Holy Spirit.  It's been my experience that when God wants me to work on something, He doesn't let me rest until I do it.  And I have forgiven far more than most could ever dream. 

A good example: The policeman who robbed Ron at the scene of the accident.  Then he came to the hospital with a phonied up accident report.  I told him it couldn't have happened that way, Ron was walking to work, and injured on his right side, by a truck traveling east.  He must have been going south.  The officer got very angry at me and blamed me for the accident. 

God worked on me until I forgave him.  I pray he and his loved ones get saved.  I wish him well.  I pity any other accident victims.  I pray he does get justice.  If not, I know God will show creation what he did to us on Judgement day.  That has to be enough.  I let it go, let it pass, and pray for him every day.  [washing my hands] 

Some very bad things happened to me growing up.  I forgave them.  I had to.  For one, my primary abuser did not end up in a good place.  I can even pity them.  I worry about this person's family, even, and pray for them - because I know what they can do. 

I forgave the mother who damaged my brain before I was born, and then neglected me so badly, once I was born, she lost custody.  I remember how my parents' excitement when I finally caught up to the growth percentile chart - I was about 8. 

Ron has "done plenty".  Didn't appreciate me for a very long time but he does now.  Point being: forgiven.  I value him as my partner in life, and in business. 

Like I said, I don't have to justify my spiritual life: because the only opinion that matters is God's.  Does that mean I outright reject all advice?  No, I take it under advisement.  But if I'm not convicted, then I'm not convicted. 

About the only real "wrath" issues: 

Snack #3, is a no-name snack machine.  It's good-looking, though, and it vends fine.  It has a major problem, though: Sometimes it doesn't give change. 

My chips are priced at 65 cents.  Many customers insert 75 cents, 3 quarters, and buy a bag of chips.  The machine sits there smugly saying 10 cent credit.  Push coin return: nothing.  I have done everything I can think of to get it working.  We may need a repairman.  When we called him today he had one more suggestion for me. 

Truth is, we need him anyway for the coffee machine, and a tuneup on the bottle vendor (the beast), so he'll get his money.  I also have his favorite pastry on hand. 

The change bank (the little "register" inside the machine) is stuffed - at least $30.  It's not out of change. 

But, the man told me, "Maybe it thinks it is."  If so, I'll put up a photo of the machine and give more details. 

I just know this, I cannot have a machine ripping off customers.  I will unplug it and send it back first. 

I am paying all refunds promptly. 

So, after work we went to Walmart.  I had to make a deposit so I could pay Doc tomorrow (over the phone - debit card, but mine in case it is hacked).  I was looking at back scrubbers when my phone rang.  I didn't recognize the number.

We posted my number at the secondary location.  The location makes about $10 a month so it is a very low priority.  We only did it as a favor to the manager.  Anyway, if something is out they can call.  But they didn't, so when we went to stock we didn't have the Coke or Diet Coke. 

"That guy" works at the store.  The one who wants to tell us how to run our business, even though he isn't in vending.  He acts like that vending machine is our only, and most important, account.  It is an afterthought. 

Honestly, the only reason we went in: Dr Pepper called and needed to audit our serial numbers.  We had to get the number off the machine.

So, he was out that day but I told someone "Let Fred know we stocked his favorite brand". 

Today he called my phone.  I didn't know the number.  I thought it might be Doc's office.  I answered (normally it would go to voicemail but I did have the appointment looming).  The guy immediately launched into: You said you stocked but you didn't.  What kind of business are you running?  Etc.  Talking in a very loud and angry voice, with a very derogatory tone. 

"You wouldn't talk to me like that" I thought "In front of your boss or mine".  Ron is my boss - I don't mean that as some submissive crap but I do work for/with him and am accorded the respect and consideration due the only employee.  He does not allow anyone to talk down to me. 

Yes.  I know what you're thinking.  It is ironic. 

The guy kept talking to me like I was stupid.  I told him 3 things: You only drink one brand and we stocked it.  That's what we told them to tell you; we stocked your brand.  Two, we have been working 12 hour days at the location that pays the bills.  Three: it is a 4 hour round trip on Metrolift to go and stock your machine. Sorry, but we'll get there when we can.   He muttered something under his breath. 

"What's that?"  Nevermind, he mumbled, and hung up. 

I just stood there, gaping.  Then I started to laugh.  Ron called "What?"  I told him.  I could practically see him spitting nails from 200 feet away.  "Give me his number!"

I reminded Ron, with my memory, I couldn't pull it up, memorize it, and give it back.  If you want to pass on a message, why not call the store instead? 

Ron did just that.  He called me back, crowing.  "I called and told them what he had done.  I told them if he ever did that again we would remove the machine."  So, not only did "The boss" chastise the guy for yelling at me, the other store employees will give him hell because they want to keep the vending machine. 

We may take it out anyway.  Before, we were working very part time hours.  Now that things have changed at work we are fully full time and don't have time for the 4 hour round trip stocking trips. 

Not for $10 profit, a month. 

Anyway, after that, I bought the back scrubber (soft natural bristle, $6), bodywash (grapefruit - good aromatherapy for depression and a personal favorite - $3), and an exfoliating washcloth ($2) I've been eyeing for a while.  Then I spent $10 on Ron, and bought some cat treats. 

Yay, me. 


 

No comments: