Saturday, May 17, 2014

My #1 seller

Oh, I'm tired. 

I woke up this morning with a pretty bad headache, but we had to work.  I took a hot shower and took some OTC painkillers.  Then we went to the wholesale warehouse. 

I was happy to see sliced, frosted, lemon poundcake at the door.  That's my favorite "sample". 

I parked Ron and took a flatbed cart, loading it with dozens of cases of bottled drinks, my snacks, and some frozen sandwiches.  We spent about $400. 

I didn't feel at all guilty about eating that pound cake.  Our friend arrived in his pickup and I put all the stuff into the truck.  We stuffed the truck (the snacks had to go into the cab), and barely had room for the folded wheelchair, standing up, in the back. 

We got to work.  I got my carts and unloaded the truck, putting everything onto the carts and then into the stockroom.  I had to push it all up a ramp, which is a great butt workout. 

Imagine my horror when we found the vending machines blocked off, floor wax freshly applied.  Don't get me wrong: it's great they maintain the facility.  People want to buy food in a fresh and clean location. 

But we had to wait 2 hours for the wax to dry.  I walked over to the gas station and bought lunch, then brought it back. 

I was wrong, by the way.  They did install handicap wheelchair accessible tables at work - 5 of them.  Ron can roll right up under them and eat his meal.  I got him a 4 meat taco, and I had chicken strips.  I also got another nifty cup - it's a half gallon bucket, with a lid and straw.  Awesome. 

I did get our part of the stockroom loaded up.  It looks good.  Ron and I were able to access our fridge/freezer combo unit and quick chilled some bottled drinks. 

When we could, we stocked everything.  I was a little frazzled because Ron needs a lot of "help".  I had to do my own work on top of that.  I had Ron do everything possible, though, like fix a coin jam in snack 2, and mash up all the cardboard.  Ron stocked sodas and most of the bottled drinks.  I did the snacks, which needed hundreds of items stocked. 

People really like our lineup.  In fact, one guy caught me as I took out our trash and complained about the lack of low carb items. 

Now, if you want a really healthy eating plan, stay away from the vending machine.  I didn't tell him that, even though he told me I had to stock the special low carb "frankenfoods" - highly processed food items with dubiously low "carb counts".  Those things really messed me up, back in the day. 

I laughed a little and politely told him the truth: I'd already done it.  They didn't sell.  The vending machine made $30 in one month.  Once I filled it up with junk, it made 10 times that.  He got it. 

I finished by telling him I did have "better eating" choices, and he should check them out.  He came by later, while Ron and I were stocking, and bought a Detour bar.  Everyone wins. 

I also have stuff like whole grain chips and crackers, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc.  But my #1 seller is Peanut M&M's, running neck and neck with Flaming Hot Cheetos.  I'm going to sell what sells. 

So, we got it all done and I took out the trash. 

Praise God, I'd brought my folding chair.  I sat down as we waited on our ride, which we'd had to "put on hold".  Generally taking one's ride "offa hold" means a very long wait.  Not today, thank God. 

We even had a straight trip home with a very nice driver, and Torbie met me on the porch.  Best of all, yesterday I bought 2 sandwiches at McDonald's.  I only ate one, last night. 

Dinner is served. 

No comments: