Thursday, May 8, 2014

A smart person

It's never good when I wake up to the smell of burning. 

I had a normal morning wakeup, shower, God Time, Torbie, breakfast, out the door and to the warehouse.  I couldn't find anything I needed.  Steak burritos, cheetos, pork rinds, all of them sold out. 

I finally overheard a manager telling some employees a guy went in last night and bought 20K worth of merchandise.  Well, that's nice for him.  Not so nice for the vendors! 

I got what I could.  I improvised.  As I told Ron "I have seen Sunchips bags in the trash can so I think I'll try them for a bit"  Apparently Mr 20K Hoarder doesn't like Sunchips. 

I've also decided to eliminate the large bags of hot chips.  They just want the Flaming Hot Cheetos.  The other flavors languish.  Better to just get a small bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos (Ron calls them flamers), stock that, and have other large chips for sale. 

One guy today was upset I didn't have any BBQ chips.  Well, I told him, they don't sell.  I stocked 10 bags of BBQ chips, 10 bags - two weeks ago.  I could probably sell 80 bags of flaming hot cheetos in that time period. 

I just sold the last bag last night.  5 bags a weeks is unacceptable, especially when I have to buy them in a 50 count, and they have a 5 week code.  Either that or buy a variety pack with Cool Ranch.  Let me tell you, my people hate Cool Ranch.  Passionately. 

I didn't tell him all that.  I just told him they didn't sell so I got rid of them.  He was shocked.  The other vendor has had the same lineup, world without end.  I suppose they could.  But I have a tight inventory budget and everything has to count.  It has to sell, quickly. 

Ron overheard all this and gave his approval.  He knows I am passionate about our business. 

Anyway, we went to work from the warehouse.  The bottled vendor needed stocking, so we did that.  Then we took warm drinks out of the stockroom and put them in the fridge.  We made a list of drinks we need for the stockroom. 

That's just bottled drinks. 

I checked food and stocked non perishables.  Ron and I are in agreement: since the facility doesn't have the generators slaved to the power system yet, we need to remove, or at least not stock, perishables when we have inbound severe weather.  If the power goes out the food machines go down, and we lose whatever's in there and perishable.   Our freezer unit stays nice and chilly.  We can stock the new stuff on Saturday, after the weather's gone. 

Things like my vienna sausage, pudding cups, etc, are fine.  I need to do some kind of non-tangerine fruit.  They are a little tired of tangerines right now.  I think I need to get some apples, maybe. 

I helped Ron with canned sodas.  They were pretty active, to say the least.  We took the money out of the machines so we can buy more inventory. 

I did snacks, which involved some creative shuffling and the addition of powdered sugar donuts.  We haven't done them in ages, and we have a whole new customer base, I think they will do fine. 

I need some kind of large chips tomorrow.  We'll see what they like.  Or I may just ditch the large chips completely and do regular size, then I can shuffle them.  Candy bars are pretty good.  We did get a request for Peanut M&M's which is reasonable.  We can afford to buy a case and I'm sure they'll turn over quickly. 

Some chips, and crackers, were fine.  I need to get cheese on cheese crackers at Walmart.  The warehouse doesn't sell them.

We only had one problem: someone put a couple of pennies, and a bent dime, into a soda machine, causing a massive coin jam.  I had to fix that.  Other than that, all the machines were fine. 

I can tell you now, I left my backpack, with my Kindle, tablet (the one I won in the raffle), most of my pay, my debit card, my bus card, and my ID card in the stockroom at work.  I was so tired I walked out and left it. 

When the other vendor stocks, he leaves the stockroom door wide open for hours at a time. 

Happily, it was all there this morning.  At least the money and the electronics, I checked that.  I figured if they were present the rest was, too. 

Ron had complained about me hanging the bag on his wheelchair.  Today I told him, "Sorry, I need to do this."  And considering I do a lot for him, he didn't object.  He understands, if I take it off the wheelchair I will lose it.  If it's on the wheelchair I won't.  Because Ron needs the wheelchair and I need Ron. 

That could have ended very badly, had I left it somewhere else. 

All in all a good day.  We had good rides.  I worry I only talk about the bad rides.  98% of the time our rides are great. 

We came home.  I checked the mail, finding a half dozen books for Ron, including one on how to understand your cat.  That should be an interesting read, something we can "read" together.

I took my nap. 

I don't know about your house, but we have a pot on the stove.  Ron bumped the stove knob and turned it on, high, under the empty pot.  He smelled the smoke (it was pretty awful) and turned it off, but the pot is a loss. 

I was fast asleep until I smelled the smoke, and heard Ron cursing. 

He thought I'd be mad.  I'm not. 

It's a good stove, but it is glitchy when you bump those knobs.  This is the third time it's happened. 

A smart person might stop storing empty pots on the stove. 

1 comment:

Jillian Wheeler said...

Glad you are ok after the stove incident!

Cool Ranch is my favourite! :)