Wednesday, December 25, 2013

I'm not well

My illness generally has me running depressed on Christmas.  I'm used to that. 

Last night the neighbor kids, and adults, played soccer literally all night, against the side of my house, which is the property line.  I kept wondering if they were damaging my siding, if so how much, and how I'd get it repaired if they did. 

I decided, laying in bed, I would NOT allow the homeowner to repair it himself; but insist he pay someone else to do it.  1.  I don't know if he does good construction (this is a man who once wrapped his back porch in opaque plastic sheeting all winter).  and 2.  I think a hit in the wallet makes a better point. 

I decided I should inspect for damage. 

Clearly, I couldn't do it during the party.

I saw the whole family load up and leave, and I gave some serious consideration to doing my inspection (which is my right).  But I had a thought. 

"I'm not well right now."  I thought. 

I already feel miserable.  What if I do go out and find damage?  I'll just feel worse.  I'll get angry and I'll want to confront him when they come home, probably from church, and I will assuredly come out of that looking like the "bad guy". 

So, I'll wait.  I'll check it tomorrow, maybe, or later on.  God made the universe.  He can help my siding if He wants. 

If they are damaging my siding, forcing the homeowner to pay for repairs ought to make a point I can't make by talking: find another way for your kids to play.  Go play on one of the other property lines but get the heck off my house! 

I don't want to start a war, either.  I've heard some real horror stories. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are beyond patient with these folks! But I do empathize for what is worth .

Heather Knits said...

Well, #2 was a LOT worse, before they moved out. Those kids came in my yard constantly, climbing the gate when we locked it, breaking the gate, etc.

If people really knew they had a bonafide "crazy" next door, I have to think they'd control their kids.

But I've been told if the kids know you're crazy they go out of the way to bait you. Great.

Anyway, #6 is great, 98% of the time, but the 2% when they go off the rails is just insane. I only really care because they could damage my house.