Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I don't drive

I wish I could find one of my old resumes.  Employers loved them. 

That is, of course, until they found out I don't drive.  That was it. 

Accounting, office work, you name it.  Even some light technical support.  I can do it, and do it well.  They always loved the line "Built my own computer".   

In my current job, I do accounting, office manager, filing, cash accountability, tax filings, repairs, inventory, stocking, merchandising, planogram, etc.  Not bad for a brain-damaged, "crazy" person. 

But I don't drive; if I wanted another job in vending I wouldn't get it. 

Today I was riding in Metrolift, as my husband's assistant, going through Northwest Houston, through areas not serviced by the bus line.  I saw business after business, places where I can never work. 

Why?  They're not on the bus line.  It's pretty depressing, actually.  I see all these signs for places hiring, places I can't go on my own.  Sucks to be me. 

I think that's the hardest thing for me to explain to employers: I'm disabled, but not too much, certainly able to do the job, but I can only work for you if you're on a bus line.  But you probably don't even know if you are, because you're a car person and never gave it any thought, did you. 

They just hear "disabled, not able to drive" and decide I'm not worth it. 

Even when I'm not looking for a job, it's depressing to consider. 

I have no doubt, if something happened to Ron before the rapture, and I was left on my own, God would enable me to find the "right" job, one with understanding employers, and accessible on a bus.  I pray that day never comes, but God's will, not mine. 

Speaking of, Ron just blew up at me.  He thinks #6, next door, is setting off firecrackers and "going to burn the house down".  I told him the firecrackers are being set off at the cross street, one house over on the other side.  No, he insisted, the kids at #6 were screaming everytime the firecrackers were set off, so they must be the ones doing it.  No, I tried to tell him, the #6 kids are on the trampoline, elevated, and they can see the firecrackers (more of the mortar shell type things), then they scream; but #6 is not setting off firecrackers.  He won't hear it and is convinced they are.  When I tried to explain he shouted at me in a very ugly fashion.  I was happy to leave him alone. 

It appears #6 is getting ready to do another one of his all-night parties.  He has lighting set up in the backyard (that should be a lot of fun in the low 40's), and making a lot of noise banging things against the side of my house.  I guess sleep tonight is out of the question. 

However, it is fairly quiet right now, which begs the question: do I try to get some sleep now, only to be awakened, or do I just stay up until it's all over?  I'm still debating. 

Ugh.  Sometimes I hate this cultural crap.  In the Mexican culture, Christmas eve, New Year's (I kind of expect that for any culture, though), and January 6 - all night party nights regardless of the neighbors.  He told one of my guests he is saved - I am dying to go over there sometimes and ask  "Would Jesus want you to keep the neighbors up all night?" 

I'm sure He wouldn't. 

No comments: