Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Walk away happy

I just had to deal with a work politics/customer service issue. 

I don't enjoy tattling, but if Ron confronts you on the issue, you basically tell me to stick it, and then leave things worse - then I will.  It's my job, my business, too. 

I had Ron's approval. 

I don't think a lot of business owners share my opinions about serving my customers.  Customers are my life.  Without them, I'm dead and so's my business.  So, I should do whatever I can to encourage them to come, to make the visit a pleasant experience, and do my damndest to make sure they're walking away happy. 

If I'm not, I don't deserve their business.  I certainly don't deserve your money. 

But, a lot of the time, I see very apathetic small business owners, taking their customers for granted and acting like they're "entitled" to sales.  No, you're not.  Every coin someone drops in your box is a gift.  You have to earn it. 

So, someone comes into work.  They see clean, well maintained vending machines.  They see me and Ron, neatly dressed, groomed, and working hard.  If it's the holidays you will probably see me in a Santa hat.  If it is the holidays, you'll see a mini tree on top of every vending machine, and other decor besides. 

I have done whatever I can to make sure your initial experience is pleasant and encouraging. 

You walk up to the machine.  You see a good selection of various food items.  What would you like to eat today? 

You select your item and the vending machine works properly, because I service it as directed.  You won't find things hanging up in my machine! 

Maybe you walk over to the soda machine.  It's clean, bright, and ready to go.  The drinks are always cold.  We have a good selection.  Nothing is sold out. 

Treats in hand, you can walk over to your break area and watch that gossip show on TV, during your break.  Because I cared. 

That's what gets me - if you have a business you should care.  You shouldn't just phone it in, you should care!  Think about how much it would suck if you lost the business.  Think how hard you'd be searching for another job, how motivated, how eager - THEN turn that around and put that into your business. 

If nothing else, do that. 

No comments: