Friday, December 27, 2013

"Let me put some pants on!"

"This is going on the blog" I warned Ron.  "You look like a flagellant, carrying that thing around your neck."  (The medieval flagellants used to carry heavy crosses on their back from town to town).  I plucked the folding chair from around his neck and put it on my cart. 

Ron protested, he could carry it.  "Yes, you can.  But what's the rule?" 

We recited together "Everything that goes wrong (with Ron) is (Heather's) fault!"  The other day, Ron had an unfortunate loss of balance outside the building while my back was turned and I got some evil looks.  I *should* have helped him, they said. 

Forget that Ron demanded to walk over there on his own; I didn't help him, he "fell", so it's my fault.  Once the crowd dispersed, I told him "Thank God you're not bleeding!"  [groan]  I'd never hear the end of it. 

It was an interesting day.  I didn't set my alarm, overslept.  I woke up when Ron did and our ride was early to boot.  The female driver was banging on the door. 

"I'm naked" I told her.  "You don't want me riding like this, let me put some pants on."   She consented, looking rather alarmed, and I got dressed. 

We went to Walmart.  I forgot my list so I just got a couple of 2 liter sodas, cottage cheese, and toilet paper.  We went home and put the stuff away, then...

We went to the warehouse and bought some bottled drinks for work.  The bottled vendor is apparently fixed, so we need to stock it.  If it's stocked, we'll make money.  Kind of a no brainer. 

First, I had to get the cases out of the club into the vehicle, onto the curb, on the cart and in the building, into the fridge to chill. 

Ron likes to rip the plastic wrap over the bottled drinks; a job I hated.  "What can I do?" he lamented as I loaded the drinks.  "Rip the plastic" I replied.  He was thrilled. 

It really is a job I hate, and he had so much fun "fixing them just right".  We had a little more time than we'd planned, so we went over to our area to check on the kids (machines).  The bottled vendor seems OK, but it hasn't made any sales (unstocked right now).  The true test comes over the weekend.  If it makes it Monday I'll believe it's "fixed". 

That machine has been such a trial to us. 

The snack machines looked good, customers are still buying but the coils look pretty good.  They don't need any emergency stock (except maybe some honey buns and oatmeal cream pies). 

Canned sodas (the best food cost percentage, thus our best money makers) were moving along nicely and need some more inventory (which we'll get tomorrow).   No problems.  The cold food machine looked good, too.  Ron dealt with that while I changed prices on the bottled vendor. 

I got that done, yay.  I just hope this repair sticks. 

We had a little challenge coming home. The driver didn't read the instructions and went in the wrong parking lot, then drove around aimlessly "looking for the client".  He finally got it, though. 

That's a little issue for me.  If they can't follow simple instructions do I really want to put my safety in their hands?  They could kill me (I don't care about that), or cripple me further (that, I'd mind).  Worse, they could hurt or kill Ron. 

I'm a little ambivalent sometimes, riding.  Then I remind myself God can certainly imbue the driver with what's needed until they drop us off, and I feel a LOT better. 

When we got home, I took a long nap.  I got up, did my God time, now a little 'net time before I go back to bed. 

We work tomorrow.  Small business owners don't get to "work for the weekend!" 

No comments: