Monday, December 9, 2013

The better life

Envy is a sin. 

Proverbs 14:30
A sound heart is life to the body, But envy is rottenness to the bones.
 
Proverbs 23:17
Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day;
 
I still let it affect me, though.  One stumble for me is looking at a "normal" woman, presumably has it together, able to have kids and raise them well, able to drive, able to work pretty much any job she wants, no mood disorder, no hallucinations, no brain damage.  I imagine her perfect life, her perfect house, and just want to whine "Why me?" 
 
Today I had an insight into that life.  I was at the post office.  A woman was standing in line in front of me, very harried.  She was trying to fill out postal paperwork for a clearly "important" letter, while on the phone with her car dealership about "service".  She needed a loaner, they didn't have any available.  "Well, then, I need to rent a car" she said with exasperation. 
 
Other than one U-haul, I've never needed to do that.  I've never had to have my vehicle serviced.  I fill vending machines, I don't have important, urgent tasks.  Not like hers.  I had a loving husband waiting for me back at Taco Bell (and only a man who loves me deeply will wait that long).  I didn't see a ring on her hand, but she was so harried I might not have, anyway. 
 
It got me thinking, maybe I have the "better" life after all. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this message. Thank you.