Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"Occupied" Bible handout

I could feel the eyes in the back of my neck as I leaned into the car window, distributing Bibles.  The driver reached for a wallet "I don't take money!  I'll be praying for you."  The driver looked behind me, to him.  "I'm not with him.  Have a good day!"  The driver quickly rolled up the window as the guy scoffed in frustration. 

Today started off pretty average.  A case of Bibles on the floor, my Handout bag, some drinks.  First, though, I went to work.  After work, I came home and got a quick nap, then got everything together for the handout. 

Ron asked me to bring the blood sugar test kit, so I did.  I made sure the lancet wasn't "armed".  The last thing I needed was a fingerstick! 

I brought drinks, hat, vest.  I wore my loud orange t-shirt, white terry cloth sweatband, cargo shorts, and cheap sneakers.  Ron wore twill slacks and a t-shirt, in the wheelchair.   I squealed with joy when I found a hairclip, clipping my ponytail up off the back of my neck.  

When we got to the corner, it was "occupied".  Ugh. 

I'm sure you have seen, or heard about the guys who beg on the median.  They generally have drug and alcohol issues.  One told me he had also been diagnosed bipolar but "I don't need the medication".  I remind myself of him when I get tired of side effects. 

The man was white, about Ron's age, pretty thin - maybe crack or meth addict.  He was chain smoking. 

At first, he approached us, thinking we'd give him money, but quickly realized, to his horror, I was doing a Bible Handout.  I gave him the first Bible. 

He held it with distaste, then stuck it in his bag.  He had a "Hungry" sign. 

"You know" I told Ron "It would be a lot more effective if he hid the huge takeout bag from McDonald's".  However, he left it where everyone could see it. 

The guy, I'll call him "Jack", wanted to work the top of the median, by the light.  So I moved Ron down about 15 feet. 

Ron wasn't very interested in holding up his Free Bibles sign, until I realized Jack was standing near Ron, acting like they were affilated, and essentially using him for "donations".  I quickly explained this to Ron when Jack went chasing after a car, and Ron held up the sign. 

Jack was pretty ticked to find Ron holding up a Free Bibles sign, and even angrier when people started asking him for Bibles.  So, he decided to follow me as I did my distribution, asking the recipients for money. 

However, I told the drivers I didn't take donations, and I wasn't affilated with Jack.  So, Jack gave up on that.  He took some new angles of approach.  He kept walking by everytime the light changed, violating my personal space.  I guess he figured I would wilt and quit. 

Did I mention I am a very stubborn woman?  Accompanied by my husband, even more so?  When he'd walk up towards me me, I'd just lean over the wheelchair from behind. 

Your average "civilian" is scared to death of touching a wheelchair, or even getting in proximity.  Jack included.

The heat index rode around 100.  Jack started telling me "Oh, it's really hot.  Aren't you hot?  Aren't you ready to stop?" 

I'll refer you back to the really stubborn Heather part. 

Ron wanted to call the police - the guy was breaking the law:
Impeding traffic.
Taking money
Touching cars

But I figured God would deal with him, and I found the "persecution" rather amusing.  The sky got dark and ominous.  I wondered if we'd get rained out. 

If you are working a median, rain is death to your business.  No one will open a car window in the rain. 

Ron played classical music - figuring, accurately, Jack would find it offensive and avoid us.  He did.  I wished I had brought my music.  I bet the recipients would have liked some Gospel Rap.  Jack would have left, after that. 

Some people at the bus stop, across the street, yelled for Bibles.  Then I had a couple carloads of gangbangers.  I feel very fondly towards them.  I gave another Bible to a guy with a "Houstones" tattoo (a notorious, violent, gang).   You want it, you get it. 

I had some funny ones, too.  A truck with Spanish guys.  I desperately fumbled for a Spanish New Testament as he reached for something.  I held up "mine" as he held up "Principos de Evangelio" (Principles of Evangelism).  Another guy held up a well-read Bible and gave me a thumbs up. 

A carload of older, flashily dressed women yelled "We love you!" at me a couple of times, encouraging me to keep distributing.  Jack groaned and lit another smoke, pacing angrily. 

Traffic picked up and so did distribution.  Pretty soon I was yelling "Put the sign down" at Ron and rolling up my own sign. 

Jack sighed with relief as I packed it up, and made a rude comment as we left.  [rolleyes] 

Ron and I got to the McDonald's.  Value meal dinner.  Yum.

And it rained.  Sorry, Jack. 

All that said, of course I'll be praying for him to make the right choices, and get right with God, before it is too late. 

No comments: