Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Spirit of Fear

My neighbor doesn't seem to be working very much for a yard guy, in Houston, in the summer.  I wonder about that.  My other neighbor, the one with all the kids, works 12 hours a day in the summer.  This guy?  Maybe 4.  How are he and his woman able to pay for a 4 bedroom rental house, an SUV, and a pickup truck?  I have theories. 

Since it was our day off, Ron and I made a trip to Dollar Tree.  He didn't want me cooking my brains at the bus stop.  Since his love language is "Acts of Service", he likes to take me places.  Usually. 

I tell him a ball park time, how long I require, and he sets up the trip.  He does a good job. 

I needed more antibiotic cream, cotton rounds, etc.  Ron was happy to make the trip. 

I had to do some editing to prevent comma abuse.  [grin]

As I went out to the Metrolift (paratransit, our usual converted minivan yellow cab), I saw the guy next door.  I got in the vehicle and suggested the driver leave the back passenger door open for Ron, who'd be out in a minute. 

The guy next door (the hoarder, with loud parties) came out shouting at me "Miss!  Miss!".  It's very insulting to do that.  You know I am married.  I told you.  I would rather have someone yell "Hey" than "Miss" at me because I work very hard at my marriage. 

I rolled up my window, thinking he would take the hint.  He didn't.  He got right up on the cab, still yelling.  The cab driver was next to the back door.  He was very fit, muscled, and black.  Pretty tall, too.  The guy didn't get too close. 

I asked the driver to "Please shut the back door" and he got the message.  He shut the door and stepped forward to the guy, still yelling, until he backed off and left me alone. 

I know the driver, he is a Christian, he knows I am a Christian, he knows I am very happily married.  So, I pretended to bat my eyes at him and thanked him, in a fake southern accent, for "Saving me from that terrible man".  He grinned and I patted him on the shoulder.  "You scared him" I said, with a grin.  His grin broadened.  I explained a little and he said he was "Glad he was there to help". 

Nice guy.  I had called Ron and Ron came out, loaded for bear.  "Where is he?" 

We went to Dollar Tree, I got my stuff, I came home.  I took his sugar, cleaned his legs, took his sugar again, I think a total of 3 times today and I need to do it again.  He's starting to realize the "fun" foods don't work for him anymore. 

Then I took a nap. 

I got up and watched a little TV.  Thought about reading a book, didn't.  The doorbell rang.  It was the guy next door, looking completely wild eyed and manic. 

If he was bipolar, he was off his meds.  If he isn't bipolar, he is on something illegal.  I didn't open the door.  Ron came up and went out.  The guy told him it was his birthday. 

Ron said "Congratulations, you're one day closer to dying."  The guy started making excuses about the last party and Ron said "You're a grown man, you know when you're bothering people."  I thought that line was great. 

Then he came in the house. 

That guy next door is starting to scare me.  I hope the landlady gets the letter soon, does the inspection, and boots them.  I used to worry about the "next" tenant.  I'm a lot more worried about this one.  I believe he is at the point of selling, and using, drugs. 

Now, God hasn't given me a spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.), but I'm going to be careful.  From now on, the pepper spray is going with me, in my pocket, everytime I am outside. 

I just hope, God forbid I need it, the wind is in my favor! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get it why was he calling after you when you were in the taxi?

Is it because he wanted to sell you drugs?

I hope this guy gets evicted sooner rather than later. Good luck with everything.

Heather Knits said...

Well, he didn't bother me today. He is apparently taking the week off.

He came out of the house and watched me walk past his front yard, and around the corner to the mailbox, without saying anything, just moving around some so I'd see him, maybe.

I think he doesn't realize boundaries, as in "you don't bother someone if they are ignoring you, and have gotten into a vehicle".

That's why, at present, I choose not to interact with him at all. If he has boundary issues it's better to just have a firm, obvious, boundary.