Friday, June 28, 2013

It is

It's not about teaching, or even preaching. 

What makes a good Christian? 

A lot of people think it's about educating others, the believers and the unreached - preaching their interpretation of things to a willing, or unwilling crowd.  They value their appearance to others "I am a teacher of the Word". 

So, what is a Christian? 

It's not the guy telling me my recipients will go to hell unless I hand out a KJV. 

It's not the cults that only share their gospel in the good neighborhood. 

It's not the guy expositing to me, against my will, about some obscure Biblical point as we go to work. 

It is the lady in the ghetto, who brings Ron and I cold bottles of water during every handout.  I don't know how she finds us, but she does, every time. 

It is the gang at Grace and Truth, who send me tracts even when I can't afford the shipping, much less the cost of printing. 

It is the internet friend, who spends hard earned money on Bibles so I can share Him in the ghetto. 

It's the believer, who stops during the handout and tells me they already have a Bible.  When I ask, they're delighted to "Pray for everyone who gets a Bible today".

It's my friend Jane, who just had a heart attack.  She is caregiving for a husband with many health issues and now she has her own; yet all she does is praise God and trust in His provision.  She has taught me more than any book I've read. 

It's the old lady, with a scooter lift on the back of her beat-up car, praising God with me as she waits for the light to change. 

It's the scary looking guy in a car, giving me a slow perusal at the light and a thumbs up, as I notice his cross tattoo. 

It's the people who literally beg me for Bibles for their kids and grandkids, which I am always happy to provide. 

It's the people who grin as they see me with the Free Bibles sign. 

They're the Christians.

1 comment:

Jane Hettel said...

Oh Heather Honey... YOU are the Christian... you do far more than any of us could ever think of doing to further the Gospel of our Lord, Jesus... I am so inspired by you and Ron and how you are both willing to step outside, FAR outside of your comfort zone and to be the Hands and Feet of Jesus... to walk the hard road and to take the road less traveled... You, my sweet, precious, sister friend are MY inspiration!!! I lub you!!! jane