Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hoarders and Doctors

Well, Medicare still pays most of the bills. 

I took Ron to the doctor.  I checked his sugar at home, and then he asked me to check it again in the waiting room.  I thought it was funny, the first time I actually had a biohazard sharps container. 

I felt the doc took Ron seriously, a good exam.  Every doctor wants to give Ron Bactrim, but he's allergic.  We have another antibiotic now, which reminds me, I need to clean his legs again. 

I have always considered homecare/caregiver as one of my jobs - well, it sure is now. 

Doc saw us an hour late, so I was pretty hungry.  Fortunately I had a nice can of vienna sausage in my backpack.  Normally I find the idea of canned sausage revolting, but I was that hungry.  I made a mess and ate them, barehanded, like an animal while the medical assistant ran various tests on Ron. 

Ron and I were "cutting up", cracking jokes and all.  A good example, Ron had to urinate.  I found the medical assistant and asked her if they needed some urine.  Yes, she told me, but the bathroom was occupied. 

"That's OK" Ron replied, pretending to fumble with his waistband "I can use the sink".  Her expression was priceless. 

We finally got all the testing, the prescription, etc.  We made our follow up appointment and headed out to wait for Metrolift - a pretty short wait. 

When we came home, I was annoyed to see the vacuum cleaner still in my yard.  There's an old Spanish guy who picks junk.  We save our aluminum cans for him, mainly because I don't want him pawing around in my trash.  One time my new workboots (cost about $12) hurt my feet so badly I left them out with the cans.  He took them happily. 

Now and then, he leaves a find in my yard.  I'm OK with that, if it's a one day thing.  It has been a one day thing, I'll find something in the sideyard or on the porch, but it's gone in a few hours.  This time, it's still there, a day later, a huge, heavy vacuum cleaner. 

I dragged it out to the curb.  I don't want the thing in my yard, and my yard will not be come a hoarded repository of junk.  Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish and he doesn't speak English.  Actually, that might be a good thing. 

I just wrote a letter ranting about hoarders - I'm not going to be a hypocrite and allow my yard to be hoarded, and only a hoarder would want a broken vacuum cleaner after it had been out in the rain for days. 

I just hope he, or some other hoarder, comes along and takes it before heavy trash next month.  I really don't want that thing on my curb for a month. 

We went to Walmart after that and got his prescription.  Not cheap, not awful.  About 2 months of MY pills.  It's a good thing I already got my refills. 

Ron ate a value burger with half the bun, and it had a minimal impact on his blood sugar.  He was pretty happy about that. 

I got myself a couple value burgers to eat tomorrow morning.  I have to get up at 2. 

No comments: