Friday, June 21, 2013

Do I consider?

I have had to set some boundaries with a person I know.  I finally had to block her when she asked "Do you consider yourself mentally ill?"  How, in the correspondence, talking about my medication, seeing my posts in a group for months..how could she not understand: I am crazy.

I didn't much care for the tone of the question, either. 

I am only as good as my next dose.  I understand that, accept that, manage it, and have a good life.  Anyone can.  Understand it.  Accept it.  Manage it = take your medication as directed.  Have a good life. 

But our correspondence got me thinking about some things:  I like to see myself as a woman of action. 

When I am confronted with a problem, I educate myself.  I analyze the situation, pray on it, and then act.  I like that about myself; I think it's a wonderful asset. 

Ron has freaky sores?  Let's go look it up. 

Ron has bad circulation?  The minute I got home I looked up remedies and gave Ron suggestions.  His feet are already looking better (they had that nasty reddish mottled look). 

I'm crazy?  OK, let's go do the research, find out what worked for my bipolar family, and get it from Doc. 

That's who I am, how I operate, and I love that about myself. 

Do I consider myself mentally ill?  Yes.  But not very often.  I'm busy living my life. 

No comments: