Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It's hot, so what?

Well, I have tomorrow off. 

However, I slept really badly last night, and when I took a nap today, was awakened twice by salesmen.  I count JW'S as salesmen.  I ran them off, told them I was saved. 

I thought it was interesting they sent 2 men, and not the woman who had come by before. 

I tried to go back to sleep, but Ron's talking watch has the hourly report on.  So, it loudly announced the time, every hour, on the hour. 

The second guy was selling cable, not a very good deal, God love him.  I did give him and his cohort some Bibles. 

First, of course, we went to 2 different stores, got supplies for work, and stocked them.  I noticed the warehouse club, which had been out of all flavor mix chips after Father's day, had some, but they were going out of code in 2 weeks.  That would be fine for a family event.  Not fine for my machines. 

I ended up getting a different product mix than I wanted, but at least the machines are full.  After that, I went outside and waited for our pickup. 

God help me change my attitude, I get so sick of people whining about the heat.  They take photos of their dashboard thermometers and whine about the trials of walking from an air conditioned building to the air conditioned car. 

I sit outside, for up to an hour every time, waiting on my rides.  In the heat.  You never hear me whining.  I walk and run during my Bible Handouts, in the heat.  I don't whine. 

I get really tired of people complaining about the "difficulty" of living in Houston in the summer, the "miserable heat" when they probably only experience the heat for 5 minutes a day.  10 if you count the time it takes for the air conditioner to chill the car. 

I read a book set a thousand years in the future.  3001 by Arthur Clarke.  It wasn't very good, but one feature was the extreme wimpiness of the future generations.  They couldn't take care of themselves or live independently off the land; they were completely dependent on technology and society. 

I see that evolving in our culture.  It's unusual to find someone who actually chooses to enjoy the heat.  Someone who appreciates the challenge of battling the elements; rain or heat.  Someone who can spend a night in the woods without a huge backpack full of junk. 

Am I going to live off the land?  No.  I am dependent on infrastructure.  Ron would never even consider it. 

But I'd like to see myself as one of my cats, running free and wild during the hot weather. 

No comments: