Tuesday, June 4, 2013

2 weeks of hell

It's been an exhausting couple weeks. 

Warning, "Icky" ahead for the squeamish. 

Ron finally gave me "permission" to talk about it, largely, I think, because it's finally getting better. 

Scenario: two weeks ago, Ron wakes up with large, fluid-filled blisters on his legs, several at least, ranging from upper thigh to lower calf.  Several on the left leg, a few on the right. 

Within a day of erupting, the blisters popped and scabbed over.  We couldn't figure out the cause.  They appear to be burn blisters, but he hasn't been burned. 

As near as I can figure, with internet research, they MIGHT be diabetic in nature.  It's very uncommon, but a diabetic blister looks like a regular friction (new shoes) or burn blister. 

I checked his sugars one hour after he's eaten, and they came in at 167.  Plenty of authorities say the ideal is under 140, after eating. 

Source:  Look up link for "Healthy Blood Sugar Targets"

Clearly, 167 is not great.  However, most people, most doctors, are uninformed and think "Anything under 200 is fine". It's not.  I did my research. 

So, the last couple weeks have involved a LOT of blood sugar testing for Ron.  He has been within good parameters, thank God, and I am quite adept at checking his sugars now.  We have a Relion Micro, which requires a very small blood sample, too. 

Positive note, I have checked my own a few times, and they are ideal.  My past higher blood sugars must have been due to my former antipsychotic. 

He refused to go to the doctor, even when these horrible things ulcerated, got deeper, and then got infected.  Two were pretty large, about an inch wide by 3 inches long.  One chain of 3 actually formed a larger sore.  We even had a new blister or two coming in. 

I applied my antibiotic ointment.  I disinfected him with peroxide.  The blisters formed a horrible yellowish crust, and red circles began to surround the scabs.  The surrounding skin began to swell. 

Ron FINALLY consented to go to the doctor.  Doc said "I've never seen this before" and looked at me sharply when he asked Ron if he'd been burned.  [Facepalm]  Great, now I'm abusing him. 

He said, peroxide and antibiotic ointment.  He wrote a prescription for Keflex.  We went to Walmart and got it.  Ron is taking it diligently, every 8 hours. 

I bought some more antibiotic cream, and discovered, to my horror, the stuff in the first aid kit had expired.  I have used up an entire new tube of cream since then. 

So, the last couple weeks have consisted of me worriedly checking his legs, fretting over redness, swelling, and nasty looking scabs.  Nightly "cleansings". 

Each sore gets cleaned with a seperate cotton round and hydrogen peroxide.  The pad is thrown away after each sore and a new one used for the next.  After the foaming stops, I use cotton swabs, a new one for each sore, to apply the ointment. 

I don't want to reuse the applicators, because if I did, I could spread bacteria from one sore to another.  Two, in fact, did not get infected.  8 did.  7 are well on the road to healing.  One scab fell off. 

One remains nasty-looking, it was the last blister so I don't think it's as far along as the others.  It's about the size of a quarter.  It, however, is slowly improving. 

Oh, it's been horrible.  Even with God, tremendous amounts of prayer, it's been a huge stress.  I couldn't talk about it.  That was the worst. 

Especially when the doctor basically asked Ron if I'd burned him. 

No way.  If I'm burned out I'd just leave.  I wouldn't put my own freedom at risk for a quick moment of savagery. 

No comments: