Monday, June 10, 2013

You just slapped a blister!

I'm going to put up a link, first. 

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

Ron and I have figured out he is a type 2 diabetic.  I know some of you are saying "Aha!". 

I have to admit, I did figure, if and when this day came, I thought he wouldn't be smart. 

I was wrong. 

First, let's talk about why I even have a blood sugar meter.  Years ago, I took 2 medications that can raise blood sugar to unhealthy levels.  It seemed prudent, to me, to spend the $35 bucks for a meter, 50 test strips, and lancets. 

Sure enough, I found myself with borderline high fasting blood sugars, and after meal sugars.  I was pretty diligent about eating low carb during that time. 

I had a severe allergic reaction to the SSRI, ending my use, and last year I switched from risperidone to haloperidol.  I checked my sugar a few times, and it's been fine. 

One, or both, medications affected my blood sugar control.  Once I got rid of them (it's been my experience that the older drugs are best), my sugars went back to normal, even for a middle aged fat woman. 

When Ron mentioned diabetes in conjunction with his leg blisters, I didn't believe it.  Then I read this: 

Diabetic Blisters (Bullosis Diabeticorum)

Rarely, people with diabetes erupt in blisters. Diabetic blisters can occur on the backs of fingers, hands, toes, feet and sometimes on legs or forearms. These sores look like burn blisters and often occur in people who have diabetic neuropathy. They are sometimes large, but they are painless and have no redness around them. They heal by themselves, usually without scars, in about three weeks. The only treatment is to bring blood sugar levels under control.

Source, ADA

Well, that's not good.  Especially when the blisters popped and got infected. 

I started checking Ron's sugars.  He's diabetic, but type 2, and not severely.  A good example, his fasting blood sugar has been 130 on a couple of occasions, once, the day he woke up with MORE blisters (Sunday). 

Ron's annoyed, because he can't wear his shorts.  He looks like he has leprosy, and I'm cleaning these things twice a day now (I don't want the new ones to get infected). 

He has been a really good sport about it, buying me more glucose test strips and lancets (for the best poke, you want to change them every use or two).  He is also very good natured about getting his blood sugar tested, asking me to do it. 

I get out the lancet, he selects a finger (he likes to use the bad hand because they aren't as sensitive), I disinfect, poke, and test.  The Relion Micro is an awesome device.  The lancet is easy to use and causes minimal pain.  The strips wick the blood and test easily.  Good stuff. 

So, I read the number to Ron and throw away my trash.  We have a medical waste bag.  Old lancets, used test strips, cleaning and disinfecting supplies for his leg blisters. 

I want to make it look easy, and I think between the two of us, we do a good job. 

So, this morning, after my God time, I dressed his blisters and tested his sugar.  I took my shower.  We both dressed for work, Ron wearing khakis. 

Ron brought some music to work.  Ron doesn't dance.  He doesn't even "bop".  He does slap his leg in time to the music. 

This is where I remind you of the dozen new blisters, some of them "rather large", on the top of his thigh.  I forgot to warn him, and sure enough...

Ron slapped his leg vigorously, and I saw a spreading patch of moisture.  The fluid, by the way, is clear. 

I started laughing and grabbed his hand. 

"Ron, you just slapped a blister!" 

Then I cleaned it up. 

No comments: