Friday, June 28, 2013

Rush Hour Handout

Well, I am o-u-t OUT of New Testaments. 

It was a good handout, but a little wierd.  We got up early and got to the handout location, in Acres Homes, during morning rush hour.  Ron says about 7:45. 

One lady approached me as I rolled everything (signs, case of done-up Bibles, etc).  I offered her a Bible. She left and went halfway across the street, then came back and asked for some more "For my grandchildren".  I will never say no to that. 

I had some large quantity distribution. Two women riding in a car, wanted some for themselves.  When I mentioned children they asked for 8 additional Bibles.  Happy to help. 

Moving along, a carload of young adults/teens. I made sure everyone got one. 

One lady had a ferocious rat terrier in the back of the car.  It kept barking at me as I gave the owner some Bibles.  After she left, I told Ron "I'm glad that wasn't a pit bull!" 

Ron heard some yelling at the gas station.  "Stop leaning in that direction" I told Ron "A guy's yelling at his drug dealer."  I saw a young woman approaching several cars for a period of about half an hour.  Then she came over to me, got a Bible, and waited on the bus. 

I didn't see as many gang members; I guess they like to sleep in. 

I did have two young men drive by.  I had a really good feeling about them, even though they "appeared" scary.  They came back and got some Bibles. 

I had a lot of people who drove by and then come back for Bibles.  I had people going the other direction who saw Ron's sign and stopped for Bibles. 

I only almost got run over once.  I'm doing better. 

I saw a very tired looking young mother, carrying a baby in a sling, and holding a young child and a toddler by their hands as they walked.  When they came by, I asked the lady if she'd like a Bible.  She nodded, and I gave it to the older child "Can you hold this for Mommy?"  The little girl nodded somberly and took it.  

I had a nice mix of all sorts of people; but I did find some sad.  So many of the people who rejected  Bibles seemed so weary and sad.  They so desperately needed Jesus (even the guy in the sports car), yet they continued to reject Him.  It's like watching someone bleed to death as they scream at paramedics to leave them alone. 

I don't take it personally.  I'm a distributor.  I distribute.  God saves.  I distribute (and pray).  Important differential there. 

But it is sad. 

I decided to wrap it up.  I still had about 20 Bibles left and I wasn't moving them.  I figured if God wanted them distributed, He'd send people. 

I forget I am really highly visible, even without the sign, in my neon orange t-shirt. 

3 different recipients approached me (after the Handout, as I saw it) and asked for Bibles.  Pretty soon I was breaking down an empty cardboard box. 

Now I was finished. 

No comments: