Friday, June 7, 2013

No Extreme Measures

I know God has wonderful plans for me, after I die, at my appointed time.  No, I'm not doing anything dumb. 

Let's talk pets:  I have known some people who spent thousands and thousands of dollars on extreme medical interventions, for their pets, causing the poor animal agony as they went through countless, invasive, procedures. 

I was worried: when my sister sent me a text, saying her cat was dying, I thought I might have to give her the talk.  Happily, I was wrong.  She isn't going to torture the poor thing with invasive procedures. 

I have had 2 cats put down, and lost another cat to poisoning.  The poisoned cat was ill when I left for work, but not acutely.  When I got home she was dead. 

Frosty became acutely ill overnight.  When I took him to the clinic, they told me they couldn't do anything.  He was dying.  He would die easy, or die hard.  I chose die easy, and petted him gently as they gave him the shot.  I never regretted it.  Frosty

Then I had Bubba.  Bubba was 10 and a half, a pretty respectable life for a suburban cat with a cat door.  He loved to tease aggressive dogs.  He loved to hunt rats.  Experts say you can judge an animal's quality of life by the things it likes to do.  Bubba loved his cat treats.  I knew something was wrong when Bubba didn't want his treats that day - and I was right.  That night found me facing a hard decision: would I allow an invasive and painful ultrasound procedure to draw fluid off his sweet and loving heart, buying him a few weeks at best?  Or, would I let him go peacefully and end his suffering?  I've never regretted my choice to let him go.  Even the vet agreed. 

I figured God had another cat for me, and He did.  She is loving, sweet, good-mannered, and everything I could want in a cat.  She's even gorgeous, to boot. 

However, she is older.  Ron and I assume she is older than her stated age of 5-6 years.  That's OK.  When it's her turn to go, she won't suffer. 

No comments: