Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mojito marmalade

So, being gluttons for punishment we had 2 more trips.  We had the same driver for both trips, and he was so bad one of my neighbors called in a complaint on him to dispatch.  Wow. 

That, to my knowledge, is a first.  He was a little - zippy. 

It's just been a day for wierdness; I had a thread going on a Christian message board (one day I will learn my lesson about message boards, huh?) and it got closed. 

"Getting Ron Some Help" - Hm.  I asked why, we'll see what they say. 

I mean, unless it's my place (here), other people are going to have editorial control.  I remember at the end of the low-carb road, I actually had a moderator go into a post and delete the names of snack foods out of my blog. 

One of the readers had asked about my best sellers.  I don't know why they found that upsetting. 

The nice thing, about this, is objectivity.  Thanks to my medication, I can say, well, Heather, the verbal abuse and all is awfully raw and real.  Maybe a little too painful for them? 

I can also say, they don't like the thread, without immediately arriving at the destination of:  They hate me and they're out to get me. 

We'll see what they say, in the meantime I'll come here. 

So, I basically left you with (opened another window, read the last blog), us coming home from Walmart. 

I took my nap, a good one.  Got up and checked on the garden, looking good, fed and watered the wild birds.  Sat with Ron for a while and listened to the birds (he loves to do that). 

One of the doves has a 4-note call.  I told Ron it sounds like "Come out and PLAY!"  I even got a grin out of him. 

In fact, he was saying it at me later on.  Cute. 

We went to Starbucks with Speedy.  Poor guy had been unemployed for 2 years; so careful about getting us on the van, so reckless driving!  Yikey! 

Funny, you know, when I misspell care-ful, I always type it "caregul"? 

It was hot, in the 80's.  The cucumbers, beans, and tomatoes love it.  The lettuce, not so much.  I'm glad I planted some lettuce on the side yard. 

I'm going to need to eat the lettuce in the main garden, and harvest the mustard greens.  The flea beetles are going to town. 

While checking the mail, I noticed that the people next door had bought their dog one of those large beef bones, about 2 feet long.  It is obviously well-loved.  They didn't do it, until Ron taped that note on the door "Things to chew on, like bones". 

Ron was quiet, pretty civil today.  He offered to carry my canning jars into the house, but I declined.  They were really heavy, and they were glass.  I got that. 

I try to always have a small, light, bag, I can give him.  He feels useful, I get something in the house with no worries. 

I forgot to take my noontime lithium, and got munched pretty badly by depression.  Happily, I was able to remedy that by taking my lithium.  It's easy to get careless, something I can't afford. 

I decided to create a new marmalade.  Mojito. 

I don't drink them, but from what I hear on Facebook everyone else is drinking them.  Good time to add, I don't drink, ever.  You wouldn't, either, if you saw foot long bugs all over the walls, really paranoid and anxious, after one drink. 

Anyway, a mojito is apparently lime and mint and sugar and rum.  Well, I have a big bag of limes.  I have a mint plant out back.  It seemed to be a logical conclusion, that I'd try a mojito marmalade. 

I diced 1 cup of limes, I've got them simmering.  I chopped a handful of fresh mint and added that.  After I simmer this batch, I refrigerate overnight, then warm, add an equal amount sugar, cook until "jelly" stage, and then at the very last minute add more chopped mint, before putting into jars. 

I intend to make 2 batches, one with splenda and pectin, and one with just sugar, fruit, and mint.  I will let you know how it turns out! 

1 comment:

Snowrose said...

Video blog about bipolar

Snowrose