Monday, March 14, 2011

I'm going to COOK it.

So, what have I been up to? 

Well, 2 trips to Walmart.  The first time, they didn't have Ron's medicine, but when we did get it; it was cheaper.  By about $20.  For us, that's a lot of money. 

I spent a couple of bucks on some really nice looking strawberry plants.  When I got them home, I realized they'd been planted 3 to a pot, so I got 3 times what I paid for.  Not bad for $5 - I got about 15 plants! 

I am on the hunt for an inexpensive water-bath canner (about $20), to can up strawberry preserves.  Maybe figs, I don't know.  I always liked Fig Newtons, so I figure I will eat a fair amount of them fresh. 

Not much energy; battling depression.  I had energy for Ron (need some quality marriage time), some housework, and work.  That was it.  Hardly any energy for my God Time, even. 

I find it a little sad, but then I realize the God who created me understands when I am out of gas.  He loves me anyway. 

The other vendor said some very rude and offensive things about Ron - implying that he is a con artist and manipulator, because he heard Ron asking someone how they were, and saying please and thank you.  Ron is sincere. 

I was offended, but didn't show it.  I just did the whole "Gotta get my delivery" routine and left without responding.  I want to find the man likeable, but he isn't.  I also remind myself that he did make a pass at me last year, a married woman, and that shows what kind of man he is. 

Ron might say he is envious; and remark on the guy's "good taste".  Wow.  Ron is remarkably secure.  That's a good thing, my loyalty/fidelity SHOULDN'T be a question.  He should be able to laugh at the idea of another man getting rebuffed (I was rather rude, too). 

So, that was a little awkward but I can choose not to respond.  I like that about me. 

Oh, the neighbor's dog was going buggo the other day, and Ron left a note on their door.  Basically friendly advice, please pet and play with your dog every day.  She gets lonely just like a human child.  Stuff like that.  He also added the number of the humane society "if you get tired of her".  It would kinder to give her a loving home. 

And they did!  Not much, but at least I hear them out there now and then.  The dog is very lonely, which is really sad when you figure AT LEAST 7-8 adults are living in the house.  Where do they sleep?  PLUS 3 kids that I've seen.  At least they are all quiet. 

Of course, the young man threw a bag of trash in our yard, just as a one-finger f-you salute.  I threw it back.  [snicker] 

Bubba brought me a live cowbird on Friday, and a dead sparrow today.   I was very upset about the sparrow. 

I am rethinking feeding the birds, now.  Is it fair?  I can nourish several dozen birds a day, at the risk that some percentage might become cat food; or I can refuse to feed them at all.  I also have to look at Ron's enjoyment of the birds in the yard. 

I plan to only feed them in the large open area, where they can see kitty lurking.  See how that goes. 

My big ethical dilemma.  I planted a lot of stuff this weekend, and have some more to do soon.  I'm about at capacity, and plan to stop, starting seeds.  I have a pretty easy time starting plants from seed, and grow most of what you see in the garden, from very inexpensive seed packets. 

Oh, and I ate some lettuce.  I cut off some buttercrunch and it was good.  However, I have monstrous, huge, mustard greens.  I trimmed a few leaves off and put them in the salad. 

They were so lively, hot even, that I almost cried as I ate the salad.  Normally, I do not like "hot" things, but I do like a little excitement in my salad. 

My adoptive Mom is a lovely lady, but when I was a kid her idea of salad was iceberg lettuce with dressing.  I don't mind a salad that bites back - a little! 

Next time I eat a mustard green, I'm going to COOK it.  I have some more lettuce to move into the garden, and the window on all the lettuce pretty much ends in May.  The rest, I'll grow in Garden Bed 5 in the side yard (mostly shade), but I do need to cut back a weed-tree. 

Did I mention I got Ron's upside down tomato thing done?  I planted it with some cucumbers and tomatoes, at his request.  I think he'll enjoy his "garden". 

When the corn is done, I plan to plant the grapevine at the top of Garden Bed 1, but Ron and I need to figure out how to support it.  I plan to run the vines on (something) across the top of the other garden beds, without shading them. 

Legally I "own" up to 15 feet in the air above the ground.  I won't go that high, maybe 8 feet or so.  I have a single story house (Ron could not do stairs), and two, 2-story, houses overlook my yard.  I'd like a little more privacy. 

Privacy + grapes sounds like a good combination to me.  I read I MAY even get some grapes my first year?  That would be great! 

So, still some yard-work to do.  I bought a tarp last week (10x12 feet) and tacked it down with landscape staples.  Instant patio.  Ron likes it.  I like it. 

I can put my potted plants on it, and don't have to worry about the grass.  It is SUCH a pain to pick up little pots every time I mow.  I need to put some landscape fabric under Ron's tomato planter, too.  Nice rich compost tea-water dripping off of that, that stuff is like steriods for plants.  I need to stop that. 

I have the Sci-fi channel on.  It is supposed to be a drama, but it sounds like an X-rated movie.  Since when did we have to get naked and simulate sex?  Sad.  Ick.  Especially since one of the parties is a warewolf? 

I also need to organize, housework, etc.  Lots of things to do. 

I also need to remember to HAVE FUN.  This weekend has been all about the stuff I need to do.  What about what I want to do? 

And no, buying a big bottle of economy brand 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner (I need it now that my hair's growing) and some of the white Dial (bar soap) doesn't count.  Neither does the 16 pound bag of cat food, for Mr Greedy Cat. 

We had a big thunderstorm today (more in the video), but I don't need to work on my day off just to get the machines running again. 

Right now, I need to round up a healthy, low-carb dinner. 

Let's hope I can find that canner tomorrow.  It will work great for tomato sauce, and jams. 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I picked up a juice steamer that can be used as a water bath canner for $7 at Goodwill! I was so proud of my score considering every one I looked at cost over $100 new!

good luck in your search it is fun having goals ..right now I am on a mission to find bamboo shades at the thrift store ..good ones