Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sugarsnack

I told Ron today, "I don't think I'll get old".  I seldom talk about the premonitions. 

Mostly, I got them when I was ill, I think they would go under the "Psychotic Features" heading.  I'd have a strong conviction "I'm going to die today".  Overwhelming. 

Lately, though, it's just a simple belief that I won't get old.  I'll either die, or get raptured.  You can google "Rapture" - I am a "pretribber" - I believe in a pre-tribulation Rapture. 

Basically, that Jesus will take all of us "true believers" one day; and the rest of you will be fed some malarkey about aliens.  See, I told you ahead of time. 

Now, aliens could exist (boy, do I sound like I went off my pills OR WHAT?).  I accept that.  If so, then God created all of us, and has a purpose for all of us.  I would be shocked, if we were alone in the universe.  However, I personally think that while there's other intelligent species, cultures, and civilizations, we are probably too far apart from each other to make contact.  God wouldn't want us jacking with other species. 

Anyway, either that, or I'll die somehow.  I think either a violent accident or murder, a severe reaction to one of my medications (while dearly loved, any one carries serious side effects that could easily kill me - heart trouble, seizures, cancer), or illness.  It's just a feeling. 

However, unlike the premonitions, it has persisted even while properly medicated.  About the only thing I need to do is burn an embarrassingly co-dependent diary from the mid 90's.   If you think I have issues now, you should have seen me then.  My whole world revolved around pleasing Ron. 

Other than that, I pretty much got everything on my bucket list. 

So, what did I do on my day off?  I slept in a little, woke up, went to Walmart.  My "water bath canner" - purchased a few weeks ago, came in.  It is good for making fruity things, jams, etc.  The pressure canner, more complicated, cans anything.  If I want to make up a bunch of jelly quickly, the water bath is the way to go. 

I had improvised a very crude water bath, resulted in a few small burns.  I was very eager to get a "proper" unit. 

We finally got to Walmart, pretty late in the day.  We didn't get home until after 12.  I had an extremely tight budget.   I picked up my canner, which appears to be TWO canners.  Pretty baffled on that, may need to contact Walmart. 

I don't want to lie, and steal.  But maybe they come that way?  I don't know.  Like I said, baffled. 

I looked at the accessories, and didn't get the jar lifter tongs.  I should have.  When sterilizing the jars, it is good to have some kind of tongs.  My pasta server, and spatula, are not good lifting tools.  Ask my poached finger!  {laugh]

I got some more 8 ounce jars, and some cheap 2 liter soda.  It is far cheaper to buy it 2 liter, than to buy the half-liter six packs. 

More sugar, please.  Not for me, of course.  But my family do love the sugarsnack preserves.  Not to mention, it does make a lovely stained glass looking preserve.  The sugarfree is kind of murky. 

Murky is fine for Ron and I!  I couldn't get the big bag of generic splenda, but I could afford some fresh seasonal fruit. 

The nectarines were as hard as a rock, and about as fragrant.  I am very excited about making some canned peaches and fruit cocktails, but not with that.  Better to wait until it's at the peak of perfection, as they say. 

The strawberry sale, huge last week, was over.  I'm glad I got the berries last week.  Even if I did have to can them under less than ideal equipment! 

I did have some berries in the fridge.  I liked the pears.  They looked good, felt good.  I got 3 pounds. 

That was enough to make 6 cups, and a 4 ounce jelly jar.  I chose to make a spiced apple/pear preserve, very low sugar (1 T per 8 ounces).  I also made a smaller batch of sugarfree pear/strawberry/lemon preserve.  I made it up, basically.  Both of them. 

I used a cinnamon stick, and 2 t of cloves, in a tea ball, for the spiced.  I cooked it with the fruit, in water to cover.  They are BANGINGly good.  After canning it, I was licking up all the leftovers.  It's so good, I don't want to give ANY away! 

The sugarfree is pretty tart, but good.  I wouldn't give it away, but it's got a good flavor.  It will be good on ice cream or something.  Sugarfree icecream. 

Maybe stirred into some yogurt?  Hm.  I had 4 jars of the spiced, and a jelly jar.  I used 4 cups of fruit to start.  I had just 2 cups of the other. 

That was about it.  I made preserves and watched the Star Trek Enterprise marathon.  That was my Day off. 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

try adding a vanilla bean to your pears or when you make marmalade again ...the very cool thing about the beans are ..yes they are expensive but you can actually rinse them and reuse them in a few batches of jam ..with the oranges they smell like orangcicles!!!!

Healther you got me hunting for my canner and washing jars..strawberries are just around the corner for us! and rhubarb!!!

I got rid of the pressure canner when I forgot to add oil when I was making a huge pot of hominy and the top blew off ...it took me days to scrape my ceiling!!!