Sunday, March 20, 2011

Make groceries

Thank you Jesus, I'm finally a little manic. 

So, when I left you I had all the conflict about Ron and when I "could" cook.  Did I mention he loved my sugarfree splenda jam?  I used Sure-Jell, by the recipe.  He adored it. 

Today, in fact, he begged me to make him some sandwiches, with the new jam, and gave me some money to buy "his" bread (a "High fiber" but secretly low carb bread) and crunchy peanut butter.  He also bragged on me to 2 friends during phone calls.  Awesome. 

I slept in, had a headache.  Did my God Time, Ron woke up. 

"Why aren't you cooking my beans?"  Huh?  Oh, the beans.  I got them started.  Ron is always happy to help; cut up the sausage and agreed to do the dishes. 

Living with Ron, it's easy to want to do everything.  It's a struggle for him to get to the bathroom or dressed.  What kind of monster would "make" him do anything else? 

Me.  He loves it when I ask for help; and it's doable for him.  I feel better, like I don't have to do everything myself.  So I put him to work cutting up sausage. 

They took a while.  Somewhere in there I attempted to finish my sugarfree marmalade, and learned an important lesson: it will never, ever jell - unless I use pectin! 

I didn't have any!  Curse it!  Looks like I need to "Make Groceries" (colliquial slang here).   That's when Ron offered to make a trip to Walmart, to buy the bread.  I told him, I'm going anyway, I'll get it today.  "I don't want to bother you". 

Then I did the whole "If it was a bother I would tell you, it's not".  OK. 

When I left Ron was gobbling up his beans, the leftovers safely tucked away. 

I went to the grocery store.  I had to walk a ways, and ride a bus. 

There was a kid at the bus stop.  I tend to be more -alert- since my mugging, also a nice-looking kid at the bus stop. 

The bus pulled up.  My card didn't work, so I had to get rid of it and put money on my new card.  As I was shoving a $5 bill into the "vending machine" operation in the back of the bus, I heard shouting.  When the kid got on the bus (a young man about 20), an older lady began screaming at him in Spanish, got up, and physically pushed him off the bus. 

She said something, as the guy backed up and the door shut.  I didn't process it, but sat VERY FAR away.  If the kid WAS a thug, he didn't bother me. 

That's the nice thing about dressing "One step above homeless" as a freind phrased it one day.  My cheap clothes, lack of bling, and no purse all contribute to the "You have more money than I do" aura that has repelled countless Thug Boys and Thug Men over the years.  Of course God did it, but I believe a flashy dresser would have more problems. 

I got off and wandered into the store.  I do not like this chain, because they sell out of code products, I am always finding expired perishables, and non-perishables, every time I shop.  I find that disgusting. 

I figured pectin, bread, and peanut butter ought to be safe.  I did check all codes. 

I found the bread and peanut butter.  Gaped at the prices on the sugarfree jams.  Yikey.  It is cheaper to make it myself. 

Looked all over for the pectin.  It wasn't on the sugar aisle, where I have found it everywhere else.  I prayed about it, finally found it with the TRASH BAGS.  Huh? 

I did find some regular Ball pectin (which I need to make tomorrow's batch of Strawberry-Lemon), and the pink Sure-Jell, which is becoming a fast favorite of mine.  When I got home, the Sure-Jell did the trick, within a minute.  The marmalade looks fantastic. 

I also got a clearance funnel.  Love that thing.  I really need to get the tongs, my improvised method isn't safe for me or the jars.  I saw some other products on sale.  Checked the codes.  EWWWW.  Last year.  Revolting. 

I paid up and went out to the bus stop.  It came pretty fast, considering.  Walked home, it was a lovely day. 

Made the sugarfree in a jiffy.  If they didn't call it Sure-Jell, they could call it Jiffy Jell.  Ron, again, adored the marmalade.  He licked the spoon clean after tasting it. 

Not a peep from him about using the stove, either.  I think he's beginning to grasp the fact that this is a good thing for him; me canning and "jamming". 

I made the sugarbatch after talking to my sister.  My family all have violent reactions to sugarfree sweeteners, so I made it with real sugar.  I got 5.5 cups total, not counting a couple tablespoons' leftover "samples".  I didn't eat them, but I will offer people a taste when I hand out the jars. 

Back on track: the sugar marmalade takes forever to cook, if you don't use a pectin.  Next time, I will use a pectin.  It was not my idea of a good time, standing there for 2 hours stirring away.  I'm not kidding. 

However, from 1 orange, a lemon, and a grapefruit, I got 8.5 cups of tasty jam.  5.5 cups of sugary, 3 cups of sugarfree.  The sugarfree was so good I was scraping out the pot for every last bit, eating it right in front of the sink.  It was only a tablespoon or so but it was sooo good. 

While stirring and stirring, and stirring, I watched some "I won the lotto" shows.  I concluded my big indulgence would be hiring a personal organizer.  They would help me sort out my stuff (I have a serious lack on "Where do I put this"), and then come by for a few hours every week to help me sort and maintain.  That would rock. 

Of course I would love a little place in the country, with chickens and all.  I'd love that.  However, I can safely say I honestly love my life as it is. 

God has richly blessed me, so I will thank Him for what He has given me.  It was funny, while at the store and while making the marmalade, I asked Him for direction.  He gave it to me. 

I laughed to myself thinking, it's funny how I feel reluctant to "bother" God, but everything I read in my Bible says He LOVES to help us with the smaller things, too.  I always seem to find an answer to my request!   So, unless I get some kind of "conviction" (never have) I'll keep "bugging" him with the little stuff, too. 

Tomorrow, I probably mow the yard when we get home from work, and after my nap.  The weather has been so nice I opened a couple of windows.  Not all of our windows have screens, but that's never been a big deal to us. 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I make my pectin-less jams and butters in the crock pot so I do not have to stand and stir
just a hint from Heidi if you have a crockpot try it!

I can almost smell how wonderful the jamming made your house smell!