Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Let's go get our medicine

Yesterday the weather was forecast to be grim.  High winds, severe thunderstorms, my butt.  Yeah.  It was a nice little drippy drizzle, and in the 70's all day, with light breezes. 

I had to tell Ron the business account was overdrawn.  Oops.  He does all the "bank recs" - balances the checkbook.  His bad.  Well, all my books say "Let him accept the consequences" and he did. 

After that auspicious start, I got to do the monthly report.  Talk about depressing; for Ron.  I have food in the fridge, the mortgage is paid, and we have utilities.  I say "Thanks, God!"  Not in front of Ron. 

Ron was really grim; and I let it infect me.  Which is why, today, I went ahead and took an extra lithium at lunch (per my protocol with Doc "Take an extra if you're having a hard time") even though I "felt fine".  I'm mildly depressed now; how would I have been without it?  SHUDDER 

The weather was lovely yesterday and today.  I finally forced myself out into the garden.  I can honestly say I have never met a happier plant in my life: the new fig tree is thriving.  It practically sings!  Worth giving up a whole, raised, garden bed, hauling hundreds of pounds of amendments and cinderblocks, and paying probably $150 to get the bed set up.  Whoo. 

I think it's like that story of the tribal woman hundreds of years ago:  In her culture, men paid a dowry of cows for their bride.  The average rate was 4 cows, the highest ever known was 6.  A woman's value in the society was determined by the number of cows "paid" for her.  She had a cleft palate and speech impediment, and was painfully shy. 

A young man in the village, the best hunter, loved her deeply, and she loved him too.  He hunted and traded until he had amassed a herd of a few dozen cows.  He approached her father.  All his friends said "With her defects, I bet you can get her for 2 cows."  He just smiled. 

Imagine the shock in the village when the girl's father announced the dowry:  TEN COWS!  No one had ever paid that much before!  Why did you pay so much? 

"I wanted her to know she was the most valuable woman in the world." 

I think my fig tree feels that way.  I have never invested that level of labor into any plant before. 

Personally, I think the best fertilizer is a little sweat.  I tend to drip into the garden beds when I'm working!  Now that I've got everything set up, it ought to be pretty easy to maintain. 

Last night, I decided to fix myself something nourishing.  I am really trying to only put quality foods into my body.  I thawed out some beef stock with meat.  I shredded some greens, and added some veggies.  Then I added some quinoa.  It was my first time, eating quinoa. 

I love it.  It really thickened up the broth nicely, had a good flavor, and is loaded with nutrition.  I ate that, then went to bed. 

I forgot to set my alarm, Ron's woke me up this morning.  He had no idea.  Good. 

He was pretty gloomy; but I decided not to let it affect me.  We went to work.  We had to take some money out and deposit later; we did that.  Ron paid me half my wages today, and I'll get the other half next week.  I told him that was great. 

We had a little more business than usual, good.  I filled up the machines.  I asked Ron to please reduce the sandwich order, but I don't think he did. 

It's interesting; I tend to evaluate sales by the volume of snack inventory moved.  Currently, I need to stock the machines 1-2 times a week.  Back in "the day", I had to stock them every day. 

Ron tends, I think, to evaluate profitability by the amount of the sandwich order, so asking him to cut it is shoving an unpleasant truth at him.  [shrug]  Well, it's his name on all the paperwork. 

Really, he has to be a sole proprietor.  Legally I'm just the hired help.  At-will, at that!  [snorting with laughter]  He could fire me for no reason, anytime he wants!  However, I'm the only one who can "manage" several of the machines. 

I'm not worried about Ron firing me, especially if I'm taking my pills.  Oh, regarding that: I'm almost out of Wellbutrin.  We will be going to the pharmacy to get our pills on Friday.  I always thought only old, old, people did that.  "Let's go get our medicine!" 

After work, we ran to the bank.  I asked Ron to wait outside, because "It would be faster and our next ride is due any minute".  Mostly I asked him to do that because he was very angry about the overdraft charges.  Well, it was his fault, not the bank.  I didn't want a scene. 

I was pretty tired when we got home, took a nap.  Wanted to take a longer nap (hello depression), hard time getting out of bed, actually.  My depressions tend to be worse at night ("atypical"), so I plan to stay busy. 

I got some pork ribs the other day, I plan to marinate them tonight and then smoke them tomorrow, when I get home from the Day Out I never had on Tuesday. 

2 comments:

Rib said...

You could save a ton of money if you stopped going to starbucks, buying birdseed and plants, and then your account wouldnt be overdrawn!! Its ok to splurge once in a while but when you are on a limited inckme you cant spend everything on wasteful things. Who wants to pay overdraft fees?

The garden looks divine though!

Heather Knits said...

Whoa, hold up.

I am referring to Ron's business account. I tell him the total of every check I write to our suppliers. He is supposed to check and make sure we have enough in the account to cover it. He didn't. He had the money, just not in the business account.

Ron has his own personal account, and I have mine. I use my money on the birdseed, plants, etc. Ron budgets a certain amount of "his" money for Starbucks and we always spend less than that.

He made a mistake. We have always had separate personal accounts.