Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mal Kam Kan

Interesting.  I lost a "follower".  Maybe it was the dates with Ron post.  [blinking]  He isn't a bad guy.  I wouldn't have married him.  I believe marriage is a lifetime committment (barring any abuse of children and wife, or overtly risky behavior - for instance, if Ron was doing meth).  I'll never tell someone what to do, though.  Their lives are between them, God, and the other people involved. 

I try to store up thoughts to share; and probably 3/4 of the time I forget them!  Before I started, Bubba kept running into the room and staring out the window.  I don't know why.  I went out in the yard with a flashlight and looked around, it sure is different in the dark.  I realized all my wild brambles are regenerating and I need to mow them again.  I couldn't find whatever had Bubby's tail in a knot. 

I was reading my "Encyclopedia of Country Living" and desperately wishing I could have some chickens, a milk goat, and a rabbit or two.  [sigh]  My heavenly mansion certainly has a barnyard (I don't think I'll need to kill animals to eat, steaks, bacon, etc, will grow on trees or come out of a replicator like on Star Trek).  I would like the companionship.  Of course, it would be Heaven, and I'll be with God, and all my loved ones, etc... but it would still be nice. 

The deed restrictions would never permit me to have my little flock.  I can see why.  Male goats have a terrible odor, I read.  Chickens are noisy, and the manure smells (I would compost mine when I cleaned out the coop, or let them make it on the bare ground).  I could really use a goat to help keep the grass mowed. 

I even looked up a hatchery online and had happy daydreams about the poultry I'd buy.  However, I do have a flock. 

I have a tremendously large and varied flock of various wild birds.  I feed them, they entertain us (me, Ron, and the cat) and provide some free fertilizer.  They do not eat my beans or corn, just the stuff I get at Walmart and spread on the ground. 

This morning, I had about 50 or so cowbirds.  They are very skittish, though, and I couldn't get a photo.  I also have blue jays, cardinals, doves, grackles, blackbirds, and sparrows.  I have some AWESOME bug control going, too.  So, I have a flock.  I don't pen them up, and if I can't get out there they can feed themselves. 

Today, while I took a nap, Ron went outside and sat in his chair in the sun (he had very low Vitamin D levels when tested), and listened to the birds for hours.  He loved it.  I enjoy working in my garden, and watching the birds creep down out of the trees while my back's turned, pecking away.  We all have a good time. 

This morning, I got up and did my God time, and we went to the warehouse.  I got the crackers and candy I needed for the vending machines, a nice variety.  I try to go with best-selling items.  I also get fun variety items like Japanese peanuts. 

I love living in Houston.  Our culture is a wonderful stew of just about every civilization in the world.  Salvadoran Meat Markets, next to Pho noodle houses (Vietnamese).  Love my city. 

So, I got it.  Our ride to work, we rode with a very nice man from Ethiopia.  He taught us how to say "Thank You".  Mal Kam Kan means "Have a nice day".  Anyway, I got him talking about events, and he said he is worried about Ethiopia having conflict. 

He was shocked to hear I had eaten Teff, the national grain.  It is delicious.  Lots of itsy bitsy little brown seeds.  It was nutty and delicious.  Oh man.  Now I want a big bowl, with butter.  He talked happily of flatbreads and such. 

Then it's work, and we stocked.  I stocked everything.  The new bra was great.  I had to move half a pallet of canned soda and it moved and breathed.  Yay.  Nothing worse than feeling all stifled, with an underwire poking me. 

After work, I waited outside like I do.  We had another driver.  This one was from Eritrea.  He was a really fascinating guy. 

I had guessed he was from Northwest Africa.  He had the very light complexion and bone structure I associate with Ethiopia.   He quickly corrected me and gave me an interesting review of the ongoing war between the two countries. 

"Everyone is required to serve in the military for two years".  I actually had to write an essay on compulsory service for my GED.  The test used Israel for an example. 

Personally, I thought it was a great idea.  I still do.  He said a lot of people don't want to serve and come to America as refugees.  Him? He's in college, in addition to a full time cab business.  Something about international law and economics? 

He also had a great viewpoint about people from subistence economies.  "I grew up in a small, two-room house, but it was filled with love.  We shared everything.  If we had a small bread roll, we each got some.  Rent cost about $10 American a month.  Electricity cost about $5.  We took care of each other and shared what we have."  He then went on to mildly chide the materialists.  I agree - and told him it's insane that people think I need more than one bathroom in my home.  He told me, they had one bathroom for the whole VILLAGE!  Wow! 

I wonder who cleaned it? 

Ron wanted to go to a Subway, so we went there.  He liked the $5 special.  Then we came home.  I was a little hivey because I'd had a bite of Ron's sandwich.  After checking on the garden, I took a benadryl and a nap. 

The garden looks good.  More beans are sprouting, the corn looks vigorous.  The tomatoes look like something out of a gardening catalog.  My first tomato (I am having an attack of the stupids and can't recall the variety - it's a cherry).  This is really bugging me. 

I went out in the garden and checked with my flashlight.  PATIO - it's flowering, which means if things go well I could be eating tomatoes in a month or so.  Yum. 

I watered the sprouting stuff, they need more moisture as they set up their rooting systems.  It didn't take too long. 

I need to spread more mulch tomorrow, assuming I don't have fire ants.  And curse it, I forgot to get some coffee grounds when we went to Starbucks.  AGH. 

If that's the worst thing that happened, I had a great day! 

3 comments:

Anne said...

What? Why wouldn't someone want you and Ron to go on dates? I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

Chickens aren't noisy. Roosters, on the other hand.... I have two chickens and live in Montrose. My neighbors have never complained, and in fact, are delighted with the chickens. I've had them for two years.
Amber

Heather Knits said...

I don't know either, Anne. The day before, 3 followers. The day after, 2. Oh, well. I do get a nice varied viewership (I have statistics).