Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Like Barbeque"

Occasionally Ron will lean in close and whisper in a husky, passionate voice "You smell good, Heather....

Like Barbeque."  He will take a deep whiff of my hair, scented with woodsmoke, charcoal, and roasted meat, and sigh deeply.  I always laugh. 

I love to barbeque.  Right now I've got some pork ribs smoking on the grill.  Foodtown had them on sale for less than $2 a pound.  I marinated them, and now I'm smoking them over mesquite. 

Today got off to a rather odd start.  All those birds I'm feeding, make a lot of racket.  I got up, thinking it was about 9:30 AM.  I took my shower, and did my God Time, talking to Ron about an item I planned to get for the disaster kit. 

On that subject, upon speaking with many "I don't have one and I'm not going to bother, either" people, who then added "Since you're so well prepared, I'll just show up at YOUR place..." I seldom speak of the disaster kit. 

I have one.  You should, too.  http://www.ready.gov/ look under "kit".  There you go.  Get the stuff. 

"I can't afford it".  So, get one item at a time.  One week, get $5 of canned food.  If you drink soda, save the empty 2 liters and fill them up with water.  Next week, maybe get some basic over the counter stuff you might need, like headache stuff.  Next week, get another bag of petfood.  Easy. 

Anyway, Ron agreed that today's item sounded like a smart idea.  I had seen it at Academy Sports, in combination with a lighting item. 

During the last power outage, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the failure of my battery operated lamps.  It was hard to install the batteries, and some of them were not working properly.  I found my LED flashlights to be the most useful.  I got the cheap ones, that run on a couple of AA batteries and run a few dollars each. 

I also found the religious candles to be very practical.  The previous homeowner left a lamp, the kind that burns oil.  I tried that out, pretty impressive.  So, I certainly didn't mind getting a "free" lighting item packed in with the other thing. 

Academy had them both, at the cost of one.  Good deal.  A little large, so I planned to bring my tote bag. 

However, it was running late.  I had been up for HOURS.  Imagine my shock when I checked the time, and it was 9-something!  Huh! 

I went to the grocery store and got some of that half-and-half salt, it's half potassium chloride, half regular salt.  I'm not trying to cut back on my sodium intake (taking lithium, that could kill me if I did), but I think it will be useful as I get back on an induction lifestyle.  I got a six pack of Diet Dr Pepper. 

About the most interesting thing I saw on the bus, was the addition of a new bus stop near the grocery store.  Pretty tame. 

I rode over to the Academy and got the item.  I also got a headband, I can put the flashlight into the headband and wear it.  I saw a guy wearing one last year when they installed the new generators at work, and it was very convenient. 

I paid up and carefully loaded my stuff into my tote bag.  I got everything to fit.  Yay! 

I realized I couldn't follow my plan of  "Let's go to the garden center after Academy" - my bag was awfully heavy.  Instead, I went to a nearby Starbucks, and then home. 

Ron loved what I got, and talked with me out in the backyard for quite a while.  Then he went inside and I started the ribs. 

Yum, yum. 

No comments: