Friday, March 4, 2011

I need to take a lithium

Today we got up at 5.  Ron can't walk much due to the neuropathy/stroke.  So, we took the good old steel manual wheelchair.  The thing is heavy and very sturdy.  Good thing. 

We went to the grocery store, and got some soda for work.  The cookies I've been stocking went up about 10 cents a unit.  Ouch!  When I use up my existing inventory, I'll have to raise prices.  My baseline, 20 cents a unit cookies are OK.  The customer pays 20 cents. 

I told Ron today, I love hunting down great bargains, trapping them, and putting them out for sale in our vending machines.  For instance, the 16.9 ounce bottle; a hugely popular seller.  The juice box.  I could go on. 

I like what I do, and I think I'm pretty good at it.  The driver who picked us up from the store drove a cab.  The cab has a wheelchair parking area in the back.  The patron can either ride in the chair, or move to a regular seat if there's room.  It's called "Transfer". 

I told the driver "Ron wants to transfer if that's OK".  She said it was fine and as we drove off, I realized she had not tied the wheelchair down.  It was rattling, banging, and trying to fall over at every stop. 

I asked, very politely, if she could "Please use a tie down when we make our next stop".  She told me no.  Bang.  Bang.  Bang. 

That is not paratransit policy, in fact the rule is tiedowns must be used in the wheelchair whether it's occupied, or not.  I had a couple options.  I could have made a big stink.  I could have called dispatch and told them "So and so REFUSES to tie down the wheelchair" which could have resulted in a suspension for her. 

I chose to get out when we got to the next stop and say "I'm going to ride in the wheelchair if you won't tie it down.  That way it won't fall over (and she would have had to use several tie-downs, and 2 seatbelts.).  She got a big attitude and said "Fine!  I'll use a tie down!"  [rolleyes] 

Always nice to be helpless while other people are damaging our property!  We paid for that chair with out own money. 

Anyway, we got to work.  I helped Ron, took out the dumpster, and realized I was really, really, irritable.  I kept going back to that driver.  Then I got going on horrible rides we have had in the past. 

Like this one: the only time we ever called in a complaint on a driver.  He was constantly texting on his phone.  He wouldn't put it down, staring intently at the little glowy screen.  He was weaving all over the road, I'm begging him with tears in my eyes to please put it down.  He says it's his GPS, he NEEDS it to get there (he was texting).  I said, no you don't.  You go to the intersection a couple miles down, turn left, and turn right into the parking lot.  There, you have your directions, can you please PUT IT DOWN?  He said no. 

I was really upset, and Ron was furious.  He called in a complaint.  A month or so later the driver was assigned us as a trip, refused it, and they had to send out a supervisor.  "I remember you, you are sweet!  Why would anyone refuse your trip?"  I told her. 

She was very upset about the safety issue.  I said, don't believe me.  I know you can send someone to follow him in a regular car.  Follow him, see for yourself.  Is he texting?  Is he safe?  She said she would do it herself. 

He got caught, and fired.  He blamed me.  Probably still does.  I don't care.  That was the scariest car ride of my life. 

He needed to be OFF THE ROAD.  Metrolift now has a no-text/no-talk policy.  They cannot text or talk while they have clients in the vehicle.  Good rule.  I feel a lot safer now.  It is an instant termination if they're caught. 

Not to mention, people would be gabbing away and I'd need to tell them "You have turn left here" and they'd get an atttitude!  I'M ON THE PHONE!  [scoff]   Sorry, to bother you!  I'll just let you waste your gas. 

Anyways, I was getting very dark and irritable.  I realized, the depression is here. 

Funny but true.  I walked up to Ron.  He asked me to do something, I think it was "get rid of this piece of cardboard, would you?"  I told him: 

I NEED TO TAKE A LITHIUM. 

Oh!  OK!  Go ahead, no rush.  Help yourself to the snack foods. 

I ate a bag of peanuts, and swallowed one of my extra lithium (I ALWAYS have extras for days like today).  I grimly thought that act was the most imporant act I'd perform. 

Sure enough, I started feeling better.  I got really thirsty, had a wierd taste in my mouth, and kept having to pee, but I felt better. 

We finished up at work (and I got rid of Ron's cardboard).  Now it was off to the BAD mall.  It's close to work, though.  We had a nice ride (a driver who secured the wheelchair!), and I pushed him through the doors.  Boy, the place is getting dead.  Several storefronts have closed, since our last visit. 

Ron needed a new battery in his talking watch.  I had tried to do it myself, but couldn't figure it out.  He likes the watch and I didn't want to destroy it.  I had planned to take him to a nice jeweler.  He was gone.  So was the other guy. 

I finally found a jeweler.  The only ones in the mall offered things like this:  Grillz gold teeth.  It's like those fake teeth, with the buckteeth or the fake "redneck" teeth, except they're gold and expensive.  The things are very popular with the gangster crowd. 

Did I mention the mall is a notorious gang hangout? 

[side note.  Ron just came in the room, tried to urinate on the couch, and fell on the floor.  Now he's literally crawling off to use the bathroom.  I think he misjudged his portion control on the alcohol.  Last night he was mildly delusional, woke up convinced he was (lying in bed) waiting at a grocery store on a cab.  He found the landline phone and called the cab company, demanding they send another cab.  They asked if he was at home and he realized he was "off" and hung up.  Yikey.  If he gets really bad with delusions I will call 911 and have him committed on a hold.  Delusions = bad.  He thought it was "funny"]

The jeweler seemed shocked at Ron's request, here's nice normal jeweler business from 2 average citizens.  Are we average?  Ha!  Anyway, we were safe.  It took HIM about 20 minutes to get at the battery, completely vindicating me.  If it took a professional that long; I couldn't have done it. 

He replaced the battery and handed Ron the watch.  The charge was a little steep but considering the labor involved, very reasonable. 

We got lunch.  We went to the Metrolift pickup spot; and waited.  An hour and a half later, we're still waiting.  AGH. 

Then a cab driver we know well pulls up, and says "Sorry, I'm just dropping off!"  I almost cried.  He unloaded the client in the wheelchair, turned, and opened the front passenger door (my favorite spot). 

Get in!  What?  Get in!  I'm picking you up, I just had to drop him first so I'd have room for YOUR wheelchair. 

Oh, he got me.  I forgave him. 

1 comment:

Kim said...

Do a co-video blog with Ron!!