Thursday, October 10, 2024

You know I'm sick when I don't want to blog

 I spent most of the week sleepless and worried about my sister.  As I've said I don't have full blood siblings but I've decided to count all of them.  

I was also battling a migraine all night part of which may have been the "free" microwaved popcorn in the break room at work and I think a fair amount that solar flare (a concept difficult to explain to most of the people I know in real life).  

At any rate I had a nice vomiting session in the bathroom sink after my shower this morning.  I laid back down for a while.  

For some reason I had it in my head I could leave at 10 for my 11::30 clock in today.  As it worked out I barely made it.  

"You always leave early" chided one driver and he's right.  I just wasn't thinking.  So I had to call the one boss today from the transit center, a toddler screaming nearby, to explain I might be a little late but I would be there.  

A coworker called later offering a ride which I thought incredibly sweet.  By then I was almost there.  

I can't say much about what I do but they are always happy to see me.  

I answered the call on the bus and explained, yes, I would be late, it was "100% my fault" and I was sorry.  I had a driver I'll call Chet.  He's a nice older black guy, chattier than most drivers, a very nice man.  When I hung up he asked me when I was due to start.  I told him, 11:30 but I understood I wouldn't make it, that was OK, it was (again) "100% my fault I wasn't thinking".  

"Oh" he replied "You'll make it" and he floored the accelerator!  [laughing]  Sure enough, I made it.  I would love to call in a compliment but I suspect it would bring him trouble, so I won't.  

I did have a small moral dilemma.  I wanted to buy a cold drink before work but I always do that "off the clock".  So I did that and I still clocked in on time.  

Walmart considers anything up to 9 minutes late "acceptable" and does not penalize.  I had 3 minutes to spare when I "punched".  My workload, coworkers, bosses were all fine but I was in hell most of the day.  I only started to feel better about an hour ago.  

Ace got me and I'm home.  Going to bed.  

I am eating a spicy Indian TV dinner.  Hopefully not a bad call coming off a migraine but capsaicin is supposed to be good for pain.  

No comments: