Saturday, October 5, 2024

OK time for some disaster prep tips

 I talked a lot about This thing already but I love it; a power bank, good to charge my phone at least 5 times.  It's on sale at Amazon right now for about $24 plus tax and shipping if you don't have Prime.  

I got one with my gift card (from parents, for my birthday).   I also got some wireless ear buds for the bus but that's another topic.  

Anyway, while at my parents.  Hm.  How to say this and keep the commandment to honor parents?  They don't believe in prepping.  At all.  Have forbidden me from sending/buying extra food in fact.  

But as you know by now I drink a LOT of diet soda, while there about 2 liters a day.  I bought them, or they did.  I would drink them up (they didn't seem to worry about it, I was on vacation), rinse them out, fill them with tap water, and store them in the pantry.  

I would say 95% odds Mom and Dad poured them out after I left.  But I tried.  Anyway, I think it's a good trick, I do it at home.  

So you can do that even if you can't find bottled water.  There's always soda, in my experience with several hurricanes coming to Houston.  So buy some 2 liters, drink them up, rinse and store.  2 liters can get you a long way.  It's better than drinking out of the toilet tank.  

Pet food.  Please, be the person who has extra on hand.  Even if the storm goes the other way or disaster never comes to you in other parts of the country, your pet will eat the food, and a lot of that stuff is good for a year or two.  Don't forget water for your pets, I was a little taken aback during the ice storm of 2021 when I had 5 cats, how much water they drank.  Litter too, pee pads, whatever it is they utilize.  Make sure you have vet and vax records at hand if you have to go to a shelter.  

Fema has the ready.gov website I think.  Yes, they still have it.  

Make sure you store food you LIKE to eat.  For me, I found the freeze dried food caused a lot of cramping and digestive misery.  I do better with a plain cup of noodles.  Ron liked things like spaghettios.  I'd suggest, if possible, getting stuff you know you like, ahead of time.  Now is NOT the time to experiment with a new flavor or brand.  Get the tried and true.  

Also remember some foods make you thirsty, like peanut butter, crackers, chips.  If you get thirsty foods make sure you have extra water.  Juice I wouldn't get unless you have a small juice box type thing because it ferments really fast (I found that out with Ron, when he first came home after the accident all he would drink is cranberry juice, if I put more than a few ounces in his bottle it would ferment in a few hours).  

If you have kids comfort foods they like whatever that is - goldfish or whatever, just make sure you have plenty of water.  

One thing I have on hand for disasters, it may be a little out of the box, is no rinse body bath.  You put a squirt in a quart or two of water and you can sponge clean without rinsing.  I used it on Ron, it kept him nice and fresh.  Let me get a link for that, too.  No Rinse Body Wash  Good stuff.  All you need is a small bucket (can buy at Walmart) and a few washcloths.  Because I'm a woman and there is nothing worse than no water available.  You can use some of that 2 liter bottle water and put that in the bucket (wink) to freshen up with the wash.  Thank me later if I ever turn comments back on.  

Oh, caffeine!  If you drink coffee or caffeine regularly think about that.  You can get no-doz tablets or caffeinated instant drink (look for "energy" on the label) mix packets to keep you going.  I know I have some.  

That's it for now.  God bless.  

No comments: