Sunday, May 9, 2021

Sunday

 I got an acceptance letter from Walmart a few days ago so I will be delicate.  I did not get my groceries last night but a very nice man delivered them today.  

I forget that about Texan men; they feel doing the physical labor is "their" job and get highly offended if I help.  I am not used to that.  Even when Ron was just blind it was often easier to lug the groceries myself.   I suppose my next man, if I acquire one some years from now, will be like that as well.  I should get more gracious about accepting.  

He did take the bottle of cold water (I took it out of the fridge and had it in the freezer for about 20 minutes before he came so it was CHILLY) and a little cash tip.  

I need to get more small bills from my bank tomorrow.  

I didn't sleep very well last night but got enough sleep.  Pretty depressed this morning but I hauled my ass outta bed and into the shower.  I didn't shave my legs, though.  They were a little bristly to the touch but I felt OK for hanging out at home.  

I did do my God Time (was in the middle of intercessory prayer aka "Praying for YOU") when the groceries arrived, once I got the cold things put away I finished.  I was happy they had everything but the Diet Caffeine Free Coke, which is a specialty item to say the least.  Happily "my" Walmart, the one I'll be working out of, has a nice assortment of drink mixes so I will stay supplied.  

But really the delivery drama was my fault.  Don't order on a holiday weekend, especially late at night.  As it is I will be working weekends so I will by default be placing my orders on weekdays.  I will feel better when I get my time for orientation.  But I did get an acceptance letter.  "Your Walmart Offer Letter".  And did what I needed to get going on background check,, it just takes a while.  

But I really don't like being unemployed.  I would rather work weekends and nights (well late swing shift 2 nights a week, weekend days) at Walmart (with a discount!) than sit on my ass at home waiting for a cushy office job.  

So I will be glad to start.  I am not afraid of hard work.  

A good example; the mustard story.  For a couple of years Ron and I (prior to accident) had a deli on site at the Post Office sorting facility.  It was not built up to code and really not adequate for good food safety.  No mop sink, only a single sink instead of a 3 compartment as required by law, etc.  Anyway we had some cold food we sold, some frozen items we could heat up in one of our microwaves and slap on a bun, etc.  Anyway, we needed condiments for all this so we bought gallon jars of everything.  

One day Ron was bringing in a delivery (back when he could walk) on the mag-liner (big metal cart) and took the turn wrong, a gallon of mustard fell off the cart and cracked open.  It was plastic.  We had a gallon of mustard all over the floor.  A custodian saw all this and watched with disinterest.  

I went and got a mop and bucket, filled it up with water (I had to enter the custodian area to do this) brought it back, cleaned off Ron's shoes and the tires on the cart so he could take everything else into the deli and get it put up (keep cold food cold!).  Then I went to work mopping up the gallon of mustard as this guy gaped at me.  

I finished up, took the mop and bucket back to the storeroom, emptied the bucket, rinsed the mop and stored it properly (with the head in the air).  Then I went back to the deli because I had a business to run.  The custodian was still there watching me.  "You know" he said "You did my job".  

"I know" I responded, and went back to work.  I do what needs doing, I always have.  

To be honest that is one reason I never pursued a career at the Post Office after Ron died.  I didn't like the culture and that is all I will say.  I believe in giving my employer a good day's work.  

If they WANT me to sit on my ass and stare at a wall I will do it, but if there is something that needs doing I am happy to help as long as I am trained for it.  That's just how I roll [shrug].  

Ron used to tell a story of his dad, a carpenter.  He helped build a lot of downtown.  He did wonderful work I wish you could have seen his doghouse, it had a pitched, shingled, roof, electricity, windows, and a door.  It was lovely work, and he did that in his 70's.  He loved gardening as well.  

Anyway, one day he's up on a scaffold 3 stories up and he fell.  He landed on something, got up, and went back to work.  That's just how he worked.  Ron had that work ethic.  Hopefully so do I.  If I remarry my next husband will have that work ethic.  

I will certainly enjoy my days off, though.  Happily everyone I love is retired so we can easily work out visits on my schedule.  

About the only things I need to do urgently today are the cat boxes.  But I will get them.  However, I just ate and took my medication I don't like to bend over a lot scooping boxes right after I ate.  Plus I had some V-8 with it which has proven a little acidic.  I am going to let things settle a bit.  

I like the V-8 because it is an easy way to get a lot of vegetables onboard.  I think it didn't agree with the mayo on my turkey sandwich.  I like a lot of mayo (something I get from my Dad), despise mustard, so I put a couple tablespoons on the bread.  The cheapo brand generic bread is fine for my purposes, yesterday I had a good grilled cheese with it.  

The stomach virus is still rampaging at my aunt's house, it got her husband.  I suspect it is a Norovirus.  She has already had it and recovered so I should be OK seeing her tomorrow.  

I need to run to my bank and the Post office, pick up my medication.  I did send an email to my congressional representative, telling her about the mailbox problem and how I have to beg rides to the post office as I am "disabled, widowed, non-driving, and low-income".  Hopefully that paints me in a sympathetic light.  Probably makes me sound much older but that can't be helped.  Hopefully that will get the ball rolling she is a tough cookie and this is the only thing I've asked.  

It is just inertia, someone needs a push to get the ball rolling.  But it will happen.  

In the meantime I will keep handing out my bags of candy with the scripture booklets.  About that, I had one for my driver today.  He was delayed, to say the least (not anyone's fault).  So I got my prayer notebook and I said to myself "The Devil has a choice.  He can either let me evangelize the driver or he can listen to me pray for everyone, which is worse to him?"  And as it turns out he didn't like the prayer because my driver came after about 15 minutes (takes me about half an hour).  

That's been my day so far.  

No comments: