Thursday, September 17, 2020

Thursday

 I made an appointment at the doctor.  Our practice has several doctors, etc. and can generally work us in the next day so I like that, take medicare, take self-pay (nice euphemism).  They are nice people and have done a good job for me.  

So I made an appointment.  They have a nurse practitioner, I have had good success with them.  In fact, leaving my gyn NP behind was one of the sad parts of my move to Houston.  She was great, I could ask her anything, she listened, she explained things.  

So I see her.  2 goals: get something for my acute infection and get something to prevent infection the next time I am active.  Either that or I will have to be chaste my whole life and that is not revving my motor.  

Other than that it was pretty uneventful, Ron's doctor called and left a message while I was helping Ron, they found seizure activity on the EEG so he has an official diagnosis.  Emphasized the importance of regular medication, which I understand.  But if he's anything like my psychiatrist he has patients going off their meds again and again and again...getting sloppy with the dosing, etc.   I get it, I wish I could convey that.  

Ron and I knew a guy, friend of a friend, with epilepsy.  Back around '99 we started talking on the phone.  He told me one day he had gotten into a fight with his girlfriend, on the phone, forgot to take his pill, went out to eat and had a grand mal right there in the restaurant!  Then banned for life because the owner thought he had "bad spirits".  So I get it: even a little late can be disastrous.  

So he has an official diagnosis.  Up until this point it has just been my word saying he has this problem as he has had all his seizures at home.  And I'm sure 1 or 2 may have wondered did I REALLY see it.  Now they know: diagnosed by eeg.  And I am sure the scans showing damage to the left temporal lobe didn't hurt either.  

He is taking Keppra which is pretty common, apparently, and had some acting out the first week, but only then.  Apparently there can be rages, very bad behavior, etc.which I did not see.  So that's a relief for me the last thing I need is THAT.  

And I will deal with my problem tomorrow.  I will ask about something to take after sex, also.  I see a NP as much more sympathetic and empathetic than an MD and she is a woman too, so gets it.  

I am not wild about spending the money but I would do it for Ron or the cats and I need to make myself a priority.  I don't.  I put myself last and I need to un-learn that.  Poor Ron when I told him I was going to the doctor tomorrow he asked me to bathe him.  I did.  Then he wanted to get dressed, halfway through I asked if he understood I was going to the doctor, and tomorrow at that.  He stopped.  So he is at least decent and clean for now, I call that a win.  

But I wonder about that no rinse stuff.  I will have to give some details here you may not want.  Last week I cleaned Ron up with the no-rinse and left the washcloth in the bucket of solution.  After we finished I cleaned myself with the washcloth, then poured it all out.  

Today, during my bath, I saw some sort of insect in the shower.  I was worried it was a wasp.  It vanished after I got my glasses on.  After I bathed Ron I dumped the solution in the tub and there was the bug again,some sort of beetle, I think.  It died on contact with the solution.  

WHAT DID I PUT ON MY HOO-HA?  I am a little freaked out now.  

So here it is: Ron and I decide to get romantic.  I clean him with the no-rinse solution, properly diluted.  I pour it out.  Then I fill put the bucket again and rinse him off before we get personal.  That is the only thing I can see.  Now Ron will put up with it but I hate to make him feel like plague boy.  

About the only notable thing I had another beer, it was good.  I will wait an hour and a half before I take my pills just to be cautious.  And if it comes up I will tell the "doctor" I had 2 beers this week.  

I cleaned the litter box.  They had a few issues the last time I cleaned it, runny poop, but that has resolved.  Ron has had a pretty good day for pain, and slept a lot.  

I did my God Time.  I will need to get up very early tomorrow to go to the doctor (they gave me the first appointment, I think), then I can go to the pharmacy after.  I will use the Uber to do that as my cash is limited.  I will use my credit card to pay for the appointment.  I am using it for just medical right now and I kind of like the idea of having a card just for medical expenses.  I am only out cash for whatever I am prescribed but a family doc at a cash clinic is going to understand the need for a $4 prescription.  I like that about them.  

It is easy to feel sorry for myself, but I am going to get over this.  I was able to sleep in this morning after I gave Ron his pill.  When I got up he had filled every urinal which sort of confirmed my belief he can be left alone for about 12 hours max.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: