Saturday, July 3, 2010

Don't take it personally

I felt pretty smug as I got off the exercise bike at 2:30 this morning. I'd awoken at 1:47, hit the snooze, and gotten out of bed at 1:57. Bathroom, turn off my backup alarm, and onto the exercise bike. I'm trying to formulate an early-morning fitness habit.

I drank some diet soda while I pedaled (I programmed it for the intervals setting once I warmed up) and realized this wasn't a bad way to get started. By the time I got off, I felt pretty energized.

I hopped into the shower, and after I dressed I did my God Time. Ron seemed to be in a decent mood when he woke up.

We had an interesting cab ride into work: the driver, a white guy, had a shaved head covered on scars. He told us how his former best friend and attacked him with an axe. Yike. The seatbelt didn't work and he was pretty fast, but, hey, we got to work alive.

We arrived at work around 4 AM. We stocked the machines, which were empty. We enjoyed an hour an a half of sales. Around 5:15, I started taking out perishables and unplugging vending machines.

Ron put the perishables up in the freezer - an important note. I had a little excitement when I got back behind the machines - 1. It was utterly filthy back there, dust and dirty paper towels. For some idoitic reason, the custodial staff refuse to place a trash can to the left of the sinks, so when people wash their hands at the sink they are left holding a hand towel. Which, apparently, ends up behind my vending machines. I pulled out a whole milk crate of them. Yuck.

2. Someone had pushed back a snack machine against the wall. It was immediately apparent to me I'd need the pallet jack. Ron wanted to manually move it, but I reminded him of the ensuing emergency room visit - every time he moves a vending machine, he ends up in ER. I unplugged everyone I could and got the pallet jack.

When our "Business Consultant" brought the pallet jack, he made it clear it was to be shared by the 2 vendors. I have no problem getting it. I have an extra key to the stockroom. So, I had to move a bunch of their stuff and get the jack, then get it out into the hall. Once I got it over near my snack machine I had to maneuver the forks underneath the machine - it took a minute!

Then, crank-crank-crank. Pull it forward. Watch it wobble dangerously. Feel the jerk as it jams up against the soda machine. Drop the forks. Go around behind the soda machine and adjust it. Jack up the snack machine, pull forward, wobble-wobble.... THERE! Drop the jack, go behind the snack machine, unplug. THEN put the pallet jack away, leaving everything how I found it.

I think I got my workout. [laugh] Soooooo, I did all that. I helped Ron do important things like, I kid you not, wash the ketchup packets. [rolleyes]

I was glad I had worn an oversized navy t-shirt and some warmup shorts - long enough that they came within a few inches of my knees. I finished EVERYTHING.

Ron asked me to push him out of the building, in the wheelchair. I did that, then brought the chair back and locked it up. I then locked up everything and went out.

Ron was freaking out. "I can't find my MP3 player!" I admit, I was a little shrill as I said "AGAIN?" [big sigh]

I went BACK into the building to look for it. I went everywhere Ron had gone. After checking, I went in the men's room. How revolting. UGH. I looked on the floor and under all the machines. I had a "feeling" that it was in the freezer, as Ron had spent a lot of time loading those boxes of perishable merchandise.

Sure enough, I found it on the floor of the freezer. I called Ron, he was very pessimistic. I used my high-pitched squeaky voice.

"Ron, it's your MP3 player! Why did you leave me in the freezer? It was COLD! Heather's bringing me out in a minute." He gave a big sigh of relief.

By the time I got out, he was pretty angry. He kept ranting about how he'd had it in a safe place and was not receptive to my suggestion of a hang-around-the-neck case like I've got (I even have a spare). Then he got angry about why people were moving his machines, without permission. [shrug]

Hell, I found our STOCKROOM unlocked today. God only knows why, but He'll deal with them. It is not a big deal that someone moved the machines, and you may have lost the thing but I went back and FOUND it... so why all the negative energy?

I even told him, Ron, kind of a lot of energy. He started cursing under his breath and muttering about "sucking it up". But, that's just Ron. He feels God is out to persecute him. He feels very angry that he is dependent on people. He could lose $100, get $99 back, and be furious about the missing dollar. [shrug]

That's not me. I'm always looking for the positive, or at least I see myself that way. I always try to look at all the good things in my life, not rant because I lost something for half an hour.

A rather DIFFICULT ride home. But I'm not going to let him ruin my day.

No comments: