Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bible Time

I always pray over the Bibles and candy every morning and ask God to send me out with the right amount. He does.

Yesterday, I left the house with the usual bag of what I refer to as "Driver Candy" (New Testaments bagged up with a tract or two, a scripture booklet, and a couple handfuls of candy). I had a good day out.

I find it interesting, that no one ever refers to what I give them as a Bible. Anyway, a few days ago I was at Walmart. I had bagged up whole Bibles with a "Read your Bible in a Year" tract (2 chapters each from Old and New Testament), and the usual stuff. I checked out and handed one to the cashier. It was in a gallon ziplock bag.

"Oh!" she goes "There's a book!" It said HOLY BIBLE in 2 inch high letters on the cover.

I smiled I said "It's a good one! You can enjoy the candy while you read it!" She kept it.

I was waiting with my husband, who is in a wheelchair. About 10 minutes later another employee walks up to me "Do you have any more of those books, Heather?" Sure, how many would you like? Two? OK. She had a look in my bag while I was getting out her Bibles. She was curious about the New Testaments and looked into my bag. I showed her, English "candy", Spanish candy, etc.

She walked off with her Bibles and came back a little later. "How long had you been carrying those books?" I told her, I just put 'em in this morning. I seldom carry something more than 1-2 days. She gaped at me.

Yesterday was busy. I went to an office supply store because my formatted "Where to Look in the New Testament" tracts came in. A printer formatted them for "tract" and sent me about 100. I wanted more. I headed off to the store and explained.

He had a look at them and promised to do his best. I stood there waiting at the counter while he did it. Eventually, all done. I thought they looked great and had a lot of fun folding them last night. I offered him some "candy".

He said "I don't want the candy, but I'd love THE BOOK." There's that BOOK again! They WILL NOT call it a Bible! I don't care what they call it, as long as they take it home and read it.

Then, off to Starbucks. This one can have some odd people there. We have a stay-a-week motel there, and many "homeless" people live there. A lot of them are obviously mentally ill. Yesterday, a guy who was obviously bipolar (he was manic).

He seemed very unpredictable and as I walked in I felt God telling me "You're going to give him a Bible". I told him, OK Lord but I'm going to do it when YOU tell me, because I do not want to flip his switch!

I went and had my drink, sat down. I read my book for a while and watched this guy bobbing up and down in his chair. Oh, boy. I decided to head home and went to the bathroom.

As I left the bathroom, I passed him, on his way to the Men's room. Ah. Bible time. I put a Bible on his table and bolted out of there.

Later on, I heard him yelling at the top of his lungs and wandering around outside. I was glad God had done it that way.

So, on my way home I am carrying a huge tote bag on my left shoulder. My cell phone is in its holster on my right hip. My bag gets very heavy and I shift it from one shoulder to the other, right as I pass 2 older kids playing ball.

I got home - I had 3 bags of "candy" left. I knew I'd distribute them sooner or later and I didn't worry. Then my aunt calls. I lost my cell phone. The kids found it; and their mother is waiting for me to come get it. All 3 of them. Three. So I picked up my plastic bag with the THREE New Testaments and candy, and gave them to my rescuers, along with a $10 "Thanks for being Honest". I ask God to keep me useful. Had I NOT lost the phone, I never would have given them Bibles.

Keep me useful, Lord!

No comments: