Sunday, July 4, 2010

I'm glad we left them unplugged.

Let's try this again. I went back to work; later than I EVER leave the house on Metrolift. When we use Metrolift, we try to be home by 3 PM at the latest; and never leave at night. Not unless you count a 4 AM pickup? Is that leaving at night? [laugh]

I had some knitting, the flashing light, and reflective vest. I figured the last two would help our pickup driver locate us. It's hard to find in the daylight; and it's a REALLY bad area. As I mentioned [laugh] the flashing light is visible for quite a distance. Once I popped in a "C" cell we were good to go.

Our ride came and we gossiped about the "new" vans. People keep falling on the "extra" step, the drivers HATE the tie-downs, and they can't handle the very large clients. Ron and I mentioned we do not love the new Toyota Siennas, and prefer the Dodge Ram Caravan cabs.

It was a straight trip. We got to work around 7. One of the electricians (the plant is 17 acres under one roof), walked us in. He kept telling us it was dark. I told him, that wasn't a problem for Ron! [laugh] He told me he was a little concerned about me. I told him I'd be fine, but he gave me a small flashlight. It came in handy.

If there is a next time, I need to remember to bring a small lamp or something. Anyway, plenty of ambient light in the cafeteria. The power was supposed to go on at 9.

I got out my knitting and worked until my hands started yelling at me. Then I did my Bible study, using a head band to hold the light to my head. I scared myself when I went to the bathroom, the automatic flushing toilets run on batteries!

Ron headed off to the bathroom, in the pitch black, all by himself. It was funny to think of him all alone in that pitch black bathroom. It's the way it always looks to him!

9 PM rolled around. We were boooooored. Nothing. Around 10 we figured, we'd better just leave them unplugged. I barricaded things so people couldn't just reach back and plug them in again. We flipped power switches.

We knew for a fact; when they brought the power back online we'd have big power spikes. Even the plant had unplugged all their equipment. Shockingly, (forgive the pun) the other vendor HAD NOT. That just makes me cringe!

We went outside to wait on our ride. I donned my reflective vest and turned on the flashing light. It worked. As we got on the van, we saw the power come on and off several times. OOoh. I'm glad we left the machines unplugged! Those spikes would FRY a motherboard and a couple of my machines are discontinued - new parts are not available.

No comments: