Friday, July 16, 2010

Can I have one, too?

I make an order with World Missionary Press whenever I am getting low on booklets. I put the booklets into the candy bags and hand them out either solo or with a Bible.

My last order had a large amount of children's booklets. I didn't know why, but I knew God wanted me to have them. I figured I would save them for Halloween. God had other plans. [ha! Doesn't He always!]

I need to backtrack a little. I actually love kids, but I have had some awkward and awful problems. One place, the kids were very sweet and I enjoyed spending time with them outside. However, some other children were in a very unsafe situation and I had to report it. I had talked to the parents and was threatened with violence. Then, I made an anonymous report.

Ha! The social worker apparently liked "Mommy" so well she told my name. Mommy tried to run me down and threatened to beat me violently.

Why? The toddler baby was left alone, playing in the street, with a push-toy because he couldn't even walk yet. One day he went behind the Metrolift van and the driver nearly killed him. SHE talked to the mother, a lot of shouting and profanity from Mommy. Mommy decided to kill my cat instead.

Thank God it was moving day. In our current place, I had 3 children came up to me one day and wouldn't leave me alone. They came by every day and wanted to stay for hours. My home is not child-proof and I didn't feel comfortable having a toddler in my home. If they were older, I would have called it stalking. They came by every day and spent hours shadowing me outside. I like kids, but this was creepy, and I was undiagnosed and unmedicated. I knew I needed to be away from kids.

Ron talked to them and they left us alone. I felt kind of bad about it but have to wonder about the mother. I was seeing things; and she didn't even know us, had never met us, and her kids were spending hours in my company!

So, my interactions with kids have been pretty stiff and awkward. I have been very reluctant to hand out candy to children because of the usual cultural bias and just interacting with them.

Until today. I got up, did an hour workout, ate, showered, did my God time, and talked to Ron. I prayed about it and did up the candy bags. Then I left the house. I handed out candy to all my usual drivers and cashiers.

Yesterday, I mentioned I had handed out some candy to a pre-teen who was very eager. She was even more excited about the Bible. It was obvious she was starving for Him, and brought a whole new meaning to "Feed my sheep".

Today, as I got on the second bus I saw a Spanish guy who had obviously just been shot or stabbed. He had a pressure bandage on near his shoulder, his arm in a sling, and a young man with him (a little younger than yesterday's girl, about 9). God laid it on me to give him some candy, which I did after "getting" the driver.

He showed it to the young man and some discussion ensued. "Do you speak Spanish?" No, I replied. "Can I have one, too?" I looked into his eager little face, and could see that he was hungry for God too. Dad was grinning at us both. Of course I gave him one. He gave me the most beautiful smile.

I thought it was funny, I warned him the candy was hot and he tore right into it. He knew. Apparently, if you want to do some Spanish evangelism, "Pulparindo" - the red kind, is THE BEST candy ever for them.

I got off and went to Favorite Dollar. I got about 200 baggies, enough to last me about a month or so. The cashier calls me "Candy Lady". She grinned when she saw me and laughed when I told her how long the bags would last.

"She hands out candy" the cashier explained to the lady behind, me, who held the hand of a little blonde girl. "It's really good, see?" She held up the bag I gave her.

Mom reconsidered me, so jauntily clad in my purple shorts and t-shirt. "Would you like one?" I gave her a bag, and she gave it to her little girl. "Thank you!", and another beautiful smile.

So, I guess I'd better start "packin'" for kiddies now, too.

No comments: