Friday, July 9, 2010

"Fried chicken and a blood pressure pill"

Today was fun.

I woke up with a bad headache, but not a nasty one. I took some asprin and tylenol (one of each). That seemed to help somewhat. I took a nice hot shower, that sure didn't hurt.

I got to talking with Ron and missed my God time, but I am sure God understood. He wants me to value my husband. I caught up later.

I have to get to bed in an hour or so, so I can get up and do weight day tomorrow. Weights and cardio. I am doing cardio about 5 times a week.

I dropped a pound, that cheered me up. Especially since I had bought myself a one-pound can of lard the last time I went to Foodtown.

I bagged up plenty of candy, loaded up the wheelchair, and headed out. Our driver was really nice, I liked her. We dropped someone at the "workshop" (plenty of workshops around here). As we were unloading another driver pulled up and I handed him some candy out my window.

I have had an ongoing odd experience with one driver. He requests scripture booklets "for this little girl". The "little girl" is slow, attends a workshop, uses a wheelchair, and is about 25. She apparently wants him to give her a booklet every day and then keeps them.

He said he wanted some "To hand out to clients" and I gave him a couple dozen. Then he said he wanted more, for her. I gave him a few.

Today he asked for more again because "She keeps asking for booklets". I told him flat-out I could not. I gave him 2 and said that was all I could spare.

I was really aggravated for a while, people donate so that many people can get one booklet, not for one person to get many booklets. I mean, how many does she want? I have met her and doubt she can even read.

I told him "Other people pay for these and I can't give them all to one person." He was like, OH.

I decided to put an order form in my backpack and give it to him, and tell him, "The next time she asks tell her she has to get them herself. She has to fill out the form, send it in, agree to hand them out to other people, and then get on a waiting list."

Since she attends a workshop for the developmentally disabled, I think that will do it. In the EXTREMELY unlikely event she is actually handing them out to others, good. Then she can get her own.

But I'm not going to hand out hundreds of items to one person, when I could be handing them out to hundreds of people. That's bad stewardship and God will get me.

Anyway, we got to our location. We went to Starbucks and got our drinks, had a good time talking. Then we went to Favorite Dollar. I got driver candy and some miscellaneous stuff. Ron got plenty of stuff too, and it was cute how he kept asking the prices. "It's a dollar". He got some heavy and bulky items which made things a little awkward. Next time I think we should make a dedicated trip and go home.

We went to a craft store. Ron was complaining that he wished he could make a doggie blanket he had promised a dispatcher. He was sitting right next to the knitting looms. I told him, you could. I got him a knitting board and he is learning to use it. I told him that a guy who could knit was "hot".

As we checked out, I gave a bag of candy (with a scripture booklet) to both the cashier, and the lady behind me in line). I began pushing Ron in the wheelchair. We had gotten 1/4 mile away from the store when an SUV pulls up. It was the lady behind me in line. She said "I'm a Christian and I love this! Thank you so much! What a wonderful idea!" I thanked her for taking it.

She said some encouraging things to Ron and then drove off. I like that I can see God using me.

I went over to a Christian bookstore and looked around, got some of my favorite Bible Reading tracts and about a dozen "whole" Bibles. I once had a guy really upset at me, because I was "Only" handing out New Testaments. [rolleyes] Like I said, they have the good Jesus part.

I love to hand them out with a reading plan, because that gives people a starting point. I assume, when I hand out a Bible, that the person who gets it has never picked one up. Generally a safe assumption. Since they are a very basic, practical paperback, people who DO have a nice Bible feel comfortable carrying it around because they don't have to worry about "hurting" it. I see a lot of well-loved, familiar paperback Bibles riding around in cabs.

I also got a Bible Promise book and a dozen of the Bibles. Things had gotten a little awkward by now, carrying.

Ron wanted chicken, so we went to the chicken place. I was not terribly impressed with what I got. I was happy the biscuit was so unappealing. If I knew I was going to die in two weeks, I would go and buy a huge package of Church's honey biscuits, and a quart of whole milk. I would have a terrible migraine, hives, and bloating. Hm. Maybe I would eat that on my last day alive.

Our ride came and said "I just finished my lunch". What did you have?

"A fried chicken meal and my blood pressure pill."

No comments: