Saturday, November 17, 2018

Back to work

I slept pretty well.  I thought it was cute, when I took off my glasses, turned out the light, and laid down, Biscuit immediately jumped into my "lap" and stayed there until well after I fell asleep.  Torbie was already in her spot by my head. 

We had a good ride to Sam's.  The driver is normally always, significantly (30-45 minutes) late when he gets us but today he was a couple minutes early.  Ron was in a bad mood, complaining a lot. 

We arrived at the store.  It was open.  The driver went in, looking for his "usual" cup of "free" coffee and a snack, but they aren't doing it anymore.  He was pretty upset.  We're the customers, and he's upset.  He kept saying he wanted "his" coffee.  I wanted to tell him to go to the gas station and buy one.  He left. 

I noticed the store was playing Christmas carols, but one of the employees had a radio and turned it to "Buzz mix", something playing rock and roll.  I liked the rock better.  It isn't even Thanksgiving yet, they shouldn't be playing Christmas yet. 

It's like the vending machines at work, I decorate them on Black Friday, no sooner, no later.  I think that is appropriate. 

I got our supplies.  They had everything but the tea.  I bought a lot of snacks because I figured (accurately) they would be empty.  I bought a box (plastic packaging) of blueberry muffins and managed to slice my finger open when I slid it between two pieces of plastic to break the seal.  I had problems with it all day. 

Jack came on time.  He said his wife is recovering from the surgery but will need chemo.  She is unhappy about that and upset about losing her hair.  I told him about a wig store not far from the house (he lives in the same subdivision).  He also showed me some dog photos, which I was happy to see.  He has a very happy dog.  Her tail was wagging and she was "smiling" in all the photos. 

We went to work.  I saw the bottled vendor was broken, and had apparently done so right after we left town.  Nothing worse than coming home to a full, broken, vending machine. 

I took the carts out to Jack and we loaded.  Then I brought them in and attempted to fix the bottled vendor.  "Turn it off, turn it on again" can do a lot of good, sometimes.  Not today.  [bad word}  We had to leave it down. 

One customer told me, repeatedly, the machine had been down for "A very long time".  I told him it was working Monday and he almost argued with me.  I know it was working Monday because I helped Ron stock it!  Turns out he wanted to buy a bottle of water which I helped him do. 

The "picker" may be frozen, but I can still open the door and take a drink out.  He stopped complaining after that. 

Another customer was bothering Ron about a "Free" soda, and I was thinking, there is no such thing.  Someone pays for the soda.  You are basically saying "Ron, you pay for the soda I want to drink, I don't want to pay you for it".  That's not fair to ask.  Especially considering this guy makes many times what we do in salary and benefits.  Ron said no, not very gracefully, and the man left. 

We stocked.  Ron wanted my assistance, heavily, but wanted me to "Do snacks" also.  I told him I can only do one thing at a time.  I can get him drinks and stock soda, or I can stock snacks, not to mention he was using the snack cart for soda inventory.  He got pretty upset. 

He really lost it when I took a photo of the vending machine (it is easier to send a picture message, than describe the problem over the phone),  sent it to the repairman, and then texted back and forth a few times about a good time to come for the repair.  Ron got mad about that!  Not that I was taking initiative, he didn't care about that, but I was "messing with my phone and not working".  I was working!  The repair will not happen without notifying the repair man and setting an appointment! 

I reminded him of this and he calmed down.  I did "my" snacks and we left.  We came home, I took a nap.  I slept pretty late, almost 5 PM. 

I got on the computer for a while and then called my adoptive Mom.  Last week, Dad made it pretty clear, if I wanted to call, I should call her, he would be busy. 

Like she said, "It's something he's wanted to do for a long time" and what could I do anyway?  So I called her and told her all about the trip.  She was interested. 

Let me be clear, she was very nice.  She was interested in our adventures.  She told me about her relief work with the fire victims. 

She has always been charity minded.  We hung up and I ate a snack. 

I took my pills with one of the muffins.  Oh, I should probably tell you about them.  We took Arturo the cab driver to go home from work.  When he took the wheelchair out of the back hatch, the muffin box fell on the ground, split open, 2 muffins on the concrete.  He felt terrible about it. 

I didn't mind.  I just made a joke about wishing we still had the possum, and threw the 2 in the garbage.  The 3 were OK and I closed the container again.  So I ate 2 and took my pills with them. 

I know from prior experience that I am OK with taking my pills with the muffins. 

I wanted something salty, so I ate a can of mixed vegetables (they were OK, but had celery) and a bag of sunflower seeds.  Now I'm getting ready to go to bed. 

It's been a long week but I am pretty pleased with my handling.  I think I did a decent job.  Ron is in one piece, we only lost one thing, it was mine, and not important,

We have tomorrow off, our first real day off in a while.  All my time has been prepping for the trip the last little while. 

I do need to give Ron his b-12 shot.  He gets his iron infusion on Tuesday and I asked him if he wanted them to do it.  They are, after all, trained medical professionals and I have seen her give shots to other patients.  I would just bring in the syringe and vial. 

No, Ron protested.  He likes when I do it.  I think it makes him feel special.  I don't pretend to understand.  But I will do what I can for him. 

So, tomorrow, I give him a shot. 


No comments: