Wednesday, November 28, 2018

If I could leave Arturo a Google review!

Well, clearly we saved the old computer. 

When Arturo took me home I told him we would be going to the computer guy.  He said, give him a call when we're ready.  I like that about Arturo, he's available. 

If he isn't he tells us exactly how long it will take, and is very honest about the expected wait time.  We have had other drivers lie to us and we don't use them anymore.  Arturo does not lie. 

So, I finally got Ron up, dressed.  I put my Diet Dr Pepper on the back of the wheelchair (I always have some sort of bag on the back of the wheelchair).  Ron called Arturo.  He came in about 10 minutes.  We had a hell of a time getting the computer into Ron's lap, out the door, and out to the cab.  Once we did Arturo got the computer (cpu) into the back of the cab, along with the wheelchair, and off we went. 

Ron called the computer guy and let him know we were coming.  We got there and Arturo took the computer into the store, while I got Ron into the wheelchair.  Then he came out and drove off while I took Ron up the single ramp and into the store. 

The tech, a nice Vietnamese man (Houston has a pretty significant Vietnamese population, which I find awesome), was already at work.  He told Ron the computer was 10 years old.  I believe it.  I had it for some years before I gave it to Ron. 

Ron wanted to wait while he tried to fix it.  I thought that was putting undue pressure, but Ron was paying, and the guy didn't tell us to leave.  First thing he backed up all Ron's accounting files and gave them to me. 

Now, from a legal standpoint that is really important, for me to have access.  If I had to file a report (sales tax or our monthly) I would be able to do it, as I now have the templates.  Ron is fine with me having these.  He agrees it is a good idea to keep the files away from the computer.  If we ever have to run out the door, it is a lot easier to grab a flash drive than it is to pick up a whole CPU, as we saw yesterday. 

The guy went in the back for a while but talked to us as he worked.  He had to finish up the first project he was working on, finished that, called the customer.  Then he turned his attention to Ron. 

I drank my soda and went next door, bought another one.  It is a semi-rough area (I never seem to hang out in "decent" neighborhoods) and the store owner was a little leery when I walked in.  I don't know why, I was well groomed, cleanly dressed, white woman.  Once he got a good look at me he relaxed. 

I bought a couple of diet Dr Peppers, I was delighted to see them, and a bag of baked chips.  I don't believe in low fat dieting, tried that for years, but I do like the taste of those chips. 

I went back, Ron was relieved the files were backed up.  The clever computer guy told Ron he could put an old OS on one of his new computers.  He could basically take everything Ron needed off his hard drive and put it on a new system.  Ron was very interested, and his hardware is 10 years old, so about due I'd say.  We might even be able to write it off.  So we will likely do that next month as sales improve. 

And suddenly we heard the computer talking.  It was fixed.  Ron nearly cried with relief and was very happy/relieved for a while.  It was very pleasant to be around for a while. 

We paid the man, Ron tried to give him a tip, but he wouldn't take it.  So, when we got home, I wrote really excellent Google and Facebook reviews for his business.  That will bring him some money!  Like I told Ron, I only told the truth. 

We called Arturo, he came in about 25 minutes (traffic).  But he came.  The computer guy took the CPU out to the cab and put it in the trunk, then I took Ron out.  Arturo is very good about putting the wheelchair in the trunk.  I am sure he would rather we both walked, but is very helpful. 

If I could leave Arturo a Google review!  Oh, it would be so good!  We went home and I took the CPU into the garage, then I took Ron into the garage.  Ron took the CPU into his lap and then we went into the house.  Ron didn't really relax until the had the thing plugged in and talking again. 

Then his mood crashed.  Instead of being grateful, he was angry and bitter he had to go through the whole experience.  Well, he unplugged his computer while it was booting, what did he expect?  Thank God it could be fixed, but Ron was cursing God for allowing the whole experience. 

I hoped he would resolve but he didn't.  He was in a pretty bad mood by the time our driver came to take us to dinner.  Ron demanded the driver put him in the back, more work for the driver but at least he didn't have to transfer.  I always worry when Ron gets out of, or into, his wheelchair.  I always worry he will fall.  He looks like he will. 

We got to the restaurant about an hour before closing.  We went in and ordered our usual.  I got Tikka Masala, Ron got Tikka Boti.  Ron wanted his food to-go.  I ate my food in the restaurant, I made a mess of it, getting sauce on my shirt, but that's why I have stain removing gel at home in the laundry room.  I dunked my pan bread in the gravy and gave Ron some.  He was annoyed because it wasn't garlic pan bread.  I did an allergy blood test and it showed a reaction to garlic, so I have avoided garlic ever since. 

I gave him some chicken, getting sauce in his shirt.  He liked that so I gave him a couple bites.  I had plenty to spare and he needs his protein anyway.  I finished my food right as a big family came in 10 minutes before closing.  The proprietor sighed, then went over with the menus and order pad.  At least he is getting some business, I worry about them (it's a partnership) staying open.  We paid our tab, tipped, and out the door right at 9:01.  Ron made a crack to the other family about leaving. 

There is a taqueria down the strip mall, that is open until 11.  We went over there, went inside.  I got a large diet soda and Ron got a margarita.  They gave us chips and I ate a few.  I also bought a stick of milk candy, I really like that stuff. 

The callout computer ("Your ride is 10 minutes away") kept calling us, prompting a couple of alarmed calls to paratransit.  Our pickup time was supposed to be 9:40.  They told us twice that was correct. 

I paid anyway just to be safe.  The driver came early but we were ready to go.  Ron's mood was better by this point.   He had had very little of his drink. 

We went home, I ate my milk candy and pretty much went straight to bed.  Ron was quiet.  I slept pretty well, woke up with a headache, and 2 cats in my bed.  Since it was pretty early (7), Biscuit didn't walk on me, he just stared in my eyes and meowed pitifully as his big fat belly hung down, brushing the covers.  He is huge! 

We don't have any plans today.  I got plenty of food at Walmart so I have lots to eat.  I slept as late as I could, with the headache, (about 7:30) and took something for my headache.  Then I got up and fed the cats. 

Ron was hungry (for a change) so I fed him some of his tikka boti.  He loved it and Baby Girl got in the bed with him, licking at chunks of chicken.  I broke one up into smaller bits for her and she ate a few.  I put the rest in her bowl.  Ron ate several big chunks of chicken and I gave him his vitamins.  I am trying to be more consistent about that.  I need to have a track in my brain "When Ron eats he gets vitamins".  I don't have it yet but I am working on it.  But he got them, today, and I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day. 

I bought myself Diet Mountain Dews (I adore them, and Diet Dr Peppers) at Walmart so I had one with my headache pills.  I am certainly awake now. 

I need to take a shower but will get that in a little bit.  Now that the worst of my headache is gone, I need to eat a snack and take my antidepressant.  I am battling some depression right now but it isn't too bad. 

A lot of rest, and my medication, help a lot with that. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you take a multivitamin daily?
I'm taking magnesium oxide and while researching the health benefits the article mentioned migraines and depression so I thought of you

Heather Knits said...

I try to take a multi and some other supplements every day. I am getting a little fatigued, though, with all the pills. I take 8 a day just to manage the bipolar. I am currently taking a break from pretty much everything but the prescriptions.