Friday, November 30, 2018

So bad, even the possum...

I slept pretty well and had a good shower this morning, fed Biscuit, etc.  When getting Ron dressed, he wanted to wear a long sleeved sweatshirt and knit shorts. 

I told him the fashion police would get him.  He said OK and I left him to finish dressing.  When I came back he had put on the knit shorts.  I told him I would take a photo and put it in the blog. 

Our ride was almost exactly an hour late, to go to the bank.  Instead of honking, or knocking, she tried to get us in trouble by telling dispatch we weren't there.  Dispatch called my husband, who said, I am home and coming right out. 

Ron and I went into the garage and opened the door.  As I saw it open, I saw a strange man in my driveway, very close to the house, lunge toward the opening garage.  He saw me, stopped, and literally ran off at a high rate of speed. 

I found that disturbing, and creepy.  I did not recognize the man as any of our neighbors, either.  So he must have been some random creep looking for houses to rob (that is the only reason you walk TOWARD an open door on a house you don't own). 

I went out.  To my disappointment, it was the driver from yesterday, the one who was playing head games and going the wrong way, getting simple directions "mixed up" because she is either incompetent or playing games, or, my likely guess: both. 

I was really not happy, she was an hour late, tried to get US in trouble when SHE was an hour late, etc.  I asked her what the deal was with the strange man in my driveway, as I had seen her hand off a piece of paper to him before he sprinted off. 

"Oh, he wanted a ride".  I told her he could have gone to the corner, turned, and walked a half mile to the bus stop.  "Oh, he can't do that!"  Why not?  I do it all the time.  "He said he was disabled when I asked".  Yet he was able to sprint off the second I caught him trying to sneak in our garage.  I said he was no more disabled than I was.  She got mad about that. 

Ron got out of his wheelchair and she went in back and fiddled with it for a while.  The drivers receive extensive training in how to secure a wheelchair during their initial phase with the company.  The company does not want a person in an electric wheelchair coming loose during a hard stop and flying into the seats. 

I made a point of giving step by step directions to the driver, and she still had to be prodded to change lanes, etc. on a couple of occasions.  She had an attitude I was "helping" her but she proved yesterday, if left to her own devices, she will drive 5 miles in the wrong direction just because she can. 

Every time she hit the gas, or brake, the wheelchair crashed alarmingly in the back.  Ron asked about it "Oh, it's tied down".  CRASH.  "I can't afford a new wheelchair" Ron said worriedly.  She again said it was fine. 

I told her it was NOT, not if it was crashing around like that, and I was worried about the water bottle bursting open during transit and ruining my papers in the back of the wheelchair.  She said she "tied it down different, but it was fine".  I asked her if she would tie Ron down like that.  She said no. 

By this time, we had gotten to the bank.  She tried to pass it up but I told her to get in the right turn lane, as we'd already asked, and she did it.  She had the GPS on, I was giving her directions, she said she knew the place, and she still tried to pass it up. 

My big question: incompetent for the job, or just playing head games?  Both?   Both is my likely vote. 

We got there and unloaded.  Now, the first time I rode with her I gave her candy.  I had done up candy for today but I just did not have it in my heart to give her candy.  She was so heavily into playing head games she is going to get herself fired and ruin her whole life.  The last driver who had the route did a good job - all the previous drivers have done a good job.  She is just either exceptionally bad at her job, heavily into head games, or both. 

So, first time we gave her candy.  Second time we did not, I didn't have any, but the third time I gave her pastry and she drove for 20 minutes going the wrong way when we told her we had an urgent appointment.  God only knows what she would have done if I had given her candy today. 

So, I didn't.  But it was hanging in a bag on the handle of the wheelchair and I know she saw it.  Petty, yes, I am the one playing those head games I hate, now, but I was just DONE.  There was no way I could give her candy with a smile and mean it. 

We got in the bank.  We had some $1 bills.  I went through them and made sure we didn't have any $5 bills.  I found 3 and gave them to Ron.  We got in line, it was very easy and quiet at the bank today.  We transacted our business, I got paid, Ron got some money for inventory. 

After we split it and put it away he told me he didn't want to go through a drive through, on the way home.  I told him fine, I would eat something at home.  He was still pretty wound up from the whole ride to the bank so I reminded him I was not the driver, she was gone, and we would not see her again that day (we had always planned on taking a private cab home). 

He called Arturo, who said no, he had something else going.  See, he does occasionally say no.  But if we won the lotto I would steal him and make him our private driver. 

Ron called Yellow.  Who would we get?  God only knows, but please not another game-player. 

Our ride came in a couple minutes.  There was a woman with tight jeans, ripped up to the crotch, sitting in a car texting, blocking the wheelchair ramp.  I felt pretty confident banging on her window and asking her to move.  I pointed out the man in the wheelchair, and the ramp. 

Worst case I could have gotten Ron down but it wouldn't have been safe.  She moved.  The security guard was right behind me. 

The cab driver pulled up, and got out.  He started teasing Ron relentlessly.  "Why are you in a wheelchair?'

"Too much sex" I replied.  He almost fell down laughing and asked Ron if that was the case.  Ron gave him a shit eating grin and said yes, we got him in the cab.  The driver teased Ron all the way home, and kept telling Ron what a wonderful woman I was for staying with him.  Always nice to be complimented. 

We got home, got Ron unloaded, paid the driver.  Ron gave him a good tip, as I felt he should.  He totally made up for the first driver.  I wish I could get that guy all the time.  He was wonderful and had a great attitude. 

I ate a can of Spaghettios and took my pills.  Then I helped Ron with the cats for a while and then took a nap.  I slept for a little bit but had a nightmare about my primary abuser..  I wonder if he ever dreams about me. 

I couldn't sleep again after that so I got up.  I found Ron, asleep, in his wheelchair, in the kitchen.  I managed to get around him and make some sugarfree punch. 

I worked on the computer for a while until he woke up.  I asked him if he needed help, he said no, and went to the bathroom.  He found some bagged popcorn under his bed and ate a few bites.  It was awful.  I had to laugh at Ron carrying on. 

I had wondered why the possum hadn't gotten it, but now we knew - it was so bad even the possum wouldn't touch it.  I brought him some "good chips" and he ate them. 

I am getting a little bit of an appetite so I may get some pizza.  It is half off this week so I could get something really nice for cheap.  If I can save money, I will do it. 

We will see.  Tomorrow we work.  Ron, on his own, told me he wants to work more so that will be a good idea.  Holidays can get us some good money if we earn it. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why can't you call in and complain about this woman? And tell the paratransit you do not want her picking you up ever?

Heather Knits said...

I thought about it, but she is such a poor worker I am sure they will fire her. The last time, she was running over an hour late. They are very big on "on time performance" and are actually rated on that.

If it keeps up, though, I will have Ron call in.