Sunday, November 18, 2018

Things I learned

Ron's back did very well all week, but has apparently revolted and had Ron screaming all night.  [sigh]  It is awful on the emotions, not to mention the sleep deprivation is Very Bad for me - one of the reasons I never had kids.  He is slumped in his wheelchair, in the kitchen, next to his nearly empty vodka bottle.  Hard to watch. 

But it got me thinking about things I learned traveling. 


  • Put the legs on the wheelchair.  Ron couldn't hold his feet up at times and it made for difficulty, and drama.  He hates the legs but it is better than him falling out or breaking an ankle.  
  • Remind Ron to NOTIFY me of positional changes BEFORE moving.  He has a bad habit of "adjusting" suddenly without telling me.  It would probably not be as big a deal if he had the legs on the wheelchair, though.  I'm not blaming him, but his safety is #1 and I was worried about accidentally dumping him out right in front of the train.  
  • I brought a pack of about 25 singles for vending machines.  That was a good call, do it again.  
  • Jeans were a good choice for me.  Ron wore sweatpants.  Not terribly professional but comfortable.  He could sleep and wake in them.  
  • Work sneakers were also a good call - appear to be lace up sneakers, but steel toe with a leather upper.  Would have been good for fighting off bad guys.  Also good for Ron in the wheelchair, sometimes he rolls back, over my feet.  So what when I'm wearing the steel toes.  
  • When going to bed in the hotel, lay out clean clothes for next day, after shower; AND lay out used underwear/socks/shirt for in case of fire alarm.  That way it's easy to dress in used clothes in the middle of the night.  
  • If the hotel has a fire, Ron is so slow getting ready we are going to die.  I will send a final text to Blogger to say goodbye.  
  • If I am able to evacuate, take my medication with me!  That would have been a problem if I couldn't get back!  
  • Fanny packs worked well all week.  Would do again.  
  • I brought a zippered pouch for receipts (hope to get reimbursed).  That was a good idea.  
  • The big bag of snacks in the open tote bag - not a good idea.  Too bulky and they apparently sell snacks on the train.  
  • Possibly bring a universal phone charger to do both our phones, although we both had enough room for our factory chargers.
  • Good idea to bring the bath wipes, the morning the hotel didn't have water pressure I was able to use them to freshen up.  This was the nice hotel, not the cheap one - without water pressure.  The cheap hotel made for a great shower.  
  • The white noise machine was a good idea.  We both liked it and Ron wants it for himself now.  
  • The train works - sort of, for Ron in his wheelchair.  
  • Ron needs a new wheelchair.  The right brake keeps activating when I am pushing him around.  But that's cheap from Amazon so not worried.  
That's it.  Now Ron is apparently in the middle of a blackout, sitting in his wheelchair, occupying the entire kitchen (it's a very small kitchen).  It's not quite 10 AM so I will need to take a shower, etc. without moving him.  I don't want him falling out. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how the mans back is pretty much OK for 3-4 days at the conference but the minute he gets home he starts screaming in pain and reaching for the vodka. How much is pain and how much acting to use it as an excuse to drink?

Heather Knits said...

I think adrenaline, the magnets, and absolute necessity, kept him going through the conference. Attendance was mandatory.

He was OK Friday and Saturday but did some lifting at work on Saturday. I am guessing that is what "got" him.

I know he is in pain, that is abundantly clear to me. It is interesting how I just curl up in a whimpering ball when I have a migraine; he flails around and screams in pain, when he's hurting. Everyone is different.