Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Biscuit almost killed me today

Biscuit almost killed me today.  More on that in a minute. 

We had today off.  I got up around 7:30, took a shower, and got dressed.  I did my God Time later. 

Ron and I went to Walmart.  I figured out I can fit the wheelchair in the kiddie cart (standard shopping cart with a blue plastic seat mounted on the back).  Ron was able to sit in the kiddie cart while we traveled with the wheelchair. 

He needed pants.  He is a 29 inseam, but what waist?  He asked me to get him 36 and 38.  "How will I know which one's the 38?" he asked.  "You'll know" I replied. 

I sent him into the dressing room.  He selected the nonelastic, plain front, pants.  Could I find him some more?  He was a 36, I heard him laugh when he tried on the 38's "I see what you mean". 

I found him more pants and put them in the cart.  We got supplements cal/mag/zinc for both of us, and Vitamin D, 5000 IU, for Ron.  I got some soda.  Then I went in search of cat food for Biscuit.  They were out.  I asked Ron if he wanted cat treats.  No, he said. 

He was tired of sitting in the kiddie cart and wanted to go back to his wheelchair, sitting up front.  I did that. 

A couple minutes later he called me, complaining, about a Salvation Army bell-ringer.  I asked him if he wanted to get back in the cart.  No, he said. 

I finished my shopping and checked out.  We came home, I put away the perishables. 

I noticed Biscuit was playing with a squeaky toy.  It was wet.  I didn't stop to think that meant my tile hallway was wet - TOO! 

My right leg went back, my left leg went forward and sideways, and I hit the ground with my right forearm when I fell.  SMACK. 

I released an impressive stream of invective as I fell, and as I lay on the floor. 

Ron gaped in shock.  "Are you OK?" 

[sarcastic]  "I don't know!"

"What happened?" 

I told him. 

"You're OK."

I noticed that Biscuit, the murdering traitor, had hidden himself.  I realized I had three points of pain; the outer side of my left foot, my right knee, and my right forearm and elbow. 

I got to my feet, carefully.  So far, so good.  I got a towel and mopped up the floor.  No sense in Ron falling, especially with weaker bones. 

I took a moment to thank God for no serious injury.  I am so glad I take mineral supplements to keep my bones strong.  You never know when something like this will happen.

I shoved Ron, drinking, out of the way and got an icepack out of the freezer.  I put it on my knee.  I was most worried about that. 

I ate a snack and took my pills, then took a nap, my ice pack still on my knee. 

I was pretty freaked out when I woke up from my nap with my hand numb.  I thought I'd really harmed myself, but I had just slept funny on my ulnar nerve.  I didn't really relax until the feeling came back into my fingers.  Then I went back to sleep. 

It was supposed to rain today, it didn't. 

I got up and did my God Time. 

I need to do laundry but I didn't.  I still get anxious when I run a load after all the drama I had with it not working - was it just last month?  Man. 

Then I got on the computer, did some internet stuff, wrote about Biscuit on Facebook, and watched some TV. 

By the way, the people who live behind us (we have #2 on the right, and #6 on the left, then the people behind us - the people in front of us are across the street).  Anyway, the people behind us have a big scary sounding dog, but they don't leave it in the yard much. 

They did get a lurid orange back porch light, which shines in Ron's room and the bathroom, when they have it on, which is when (apparently) the dog is in the yard.  Ron likes the dog, thinks it helps protect our property.  I don't know about that.  We don't have the best fence.  I'm glad the catio is so securely fenced, just in case that dog ever breaks through. 

I still think that dog may have injured Gravy and led to his death.  But I don't know for certain. 

I am fine, other than some bruising on my elbow.  Thank God.  The last thing I needed was a compound fracture, a dislocated kneecap, or both. 

Oh, my life. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG OUCH!!! I felt that smack on the tile I understand your fears!

can you put a runner down ?

Heather Knits said...

Runners are a big trip hazard for Ron, so no.

I just need to remember to look down the hall - I can see the light reflecting off the tile, and make sure there aren't any puddles. At least until Biscuit gets tired of trying to kill me.

I'm the only one who doles out that awful canned food, so I think maybe his target was Ron. If Ron had slipped he probably would have broken something.