Friday, September 13, 2013

Leg Ulcer Photos

As you know I have had a lot of anxiety-ridden drama over Ron and the Leg Ulcers. 

They're like the horrible garage band that never leaves. 

How bad, you ask? 

Here we go.  I got permission from Ron of course. 





Ron brags I was able to deduce what two doctors could not - a high blood sugar coupled with all-night use of the leg massager (two balls on a stick design, and sporting a warning label warning the user to never, ever, do that) led to burn-looking blisters.  They popped.  They got infected. 

No one knew what was going on.  Ron mentioned diabetes and I got out my meter, and discovered yes he is diabetic.  The neighbor had an all night party, Ron drank more vodka, and more blisters. 

He also got one when he had the blended coffee drink at Starbucks, and the newest one was from "just" falling asleep with the massager on his leg. 

Heather, you ask.  How could you stay with him?  Well, it's my job.  I don't believe in conditional marriage vows.  "In sickness, unless you get disgusting infected leg ulcers". 

I figured out if they stayed closed they did better, but some did pop.  Those that did got infected. 

Ron no longer drinks any hard stuff.  I tease him about his "girl beer" - the low carb michelob.  He watches his sugar and eats more (low glycemic) vegetables than I do. 

We're learning.

His legs are also a TERRIFIC motivator to keep me on plan.  One look at that and suddenly, I don't want it anymore. 

Ron's rather proud of the effect.  He got me on lowcarb, not by nagging and complaining, but by showing me my future if I didn't. 

No comments: