Sunday, September 1, 2013

Quality time

Yesterday we went to work, and came home.  I had a terrible headache all day, and got manic from the excedrin; which resulted in a cooking spree. 

On the positive side, I did cook a lot of the sausage I bought.  I ate a little too much and felt kind of bloated, but it was good, and worth it. 

I was very proud as I sat in my chair, eating a huge bowl of stir fried amaranth greens.  I really want to eat better.  It's awful, and true, Ron's diabetes is a real wake up. 

I had a 4 ounce breakfast link and some pan sausage, in addition to the greens, for dinner.  So good. 

I very sneakily cooked up half Ron's jalapeno sausage, slicing it into little coins.  I put it on a covered plate in the fridge so he can nibble.  Ron, like me, is a nibbler.  He also needs to eat a lot more protien.  If I can present a completely delicious, nibble-friendly, protein, he'll eat it.  He's been nibbling.  It works. 

I cooked up breakfasts for myself, with the pan sausage, ground sausage topped with a fried egg or two.  I can drink one of my little V8's and have a great breakfast.  When I'm tired, or depressed, I can eat well, but it has to be easy.  I can take something out of the freezer and nuke it. 

Then, almost out of energy, I cooked myself a link breakfast sausage (it was huge).  It was also deliciously smoked and flavored, with a wonderfully crispy casing. 

After all that, I called my parents (Dad and adoptive Mom), then went to bed.  Yum. 

We got up early this morning and went out to breakfast.  Ron won't go to church every week, but every other week.  I'll take what I can get. 

I figured, since I was on such a sausage kick, I'd try the chorizo sausage.  It was very good.  The cook had it out of the casing and crumbled into the eggs.  I ordered a chorizo and egg taco (eating the filling only) and a bacon and egg taco.  The waitress was impressed I know "Tocino" means bacon in Spanish. 

Ron woke up, we chatted for a bit just now.  I think I'm going to plan my cheat meal for a bacon and cheese quesadilla, with a gluten free brownie later.  Yeah, I could do that.  About 30 carbs in the tortilla, and maybe 50 in the brownie. I probably won't eat the whole quesadilla in one day, Ron gets the "leftovers", so not even that. 

He loves the sausage cut up and cooked, in the fridge.  So, I'll be doing that on an ongoing basis.  I can rotate the types of sausage.  He loves it with refried beans.  I won't tell him adding meat to beans helps complete the bean protien - and it's a wondeful idea.  I just told him he could do "A lot worse". 

So, after eating our breakfast we went home for a little bit and then went to the pet store.  I needed to get the systemic flea drops.  I put the drops on the cat's neck, and anything that sucks the cat's blood will die.  The cats tolerate it just fine. 

Petsmart has a good brand, on sale $12 for 3 doses.  Ron got two boxes, so we're good until Christmas.  Ron's in charge of food and water for the cats, and does a very good job.  He says we are fine for cat food so we didn't get any. 

We do plan to buy the larger bag, because it's a better deal.   We'll save a dollar a pound.

Gotta go, quality time with Ron. 

No comments: