Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I miss my wedding ring

A proposal is, hopefully, a once in a lifetime event.  Every woman wants it to be special; and I think, most men too. 

I have to tell you this story to lead up to my purchase of "new" wedding rings yesterday. 

When Ron and I met, we fell hard and fast.  We agreed to move in together right after I turned 18, and then get married (my understanding). 

Well, we moved in and that went fine.  We lived in a horrible converted garage apartment with occasional sewage issues.  We had a concrete floor with an enormous floor drain.  But we never got married. 

Ron said he wasn't ready, I had issues, he had issues.  A year later we moved to our next place.  It was a lot better but still in a terrible area (none of this ever mattered to me as long as I didn't have that floor drain or sewage issues). 

I was working for Target, he'd gotten a job working for a computer firm.  He did customer service for the blind equipment division.  They even loaned him an item so he had experience.  It was a temporary job with the understanding, if he performed well, it would become permanent.  Ron did very well but they ended up laying off the entire division. 

However, instead of just the disability check, Ron had actually made some real money for a few months.  He decided to make a purchase. 

He began by asking me to describe the jewelry at the counter, what I liked, what I hated. I thought it was a fun game.  I told him I'd love an amythest ring. 

I figured Ron wasn't ready to buy me a diamond, and couldn't afford it anyway.  He acted really wierd when I told him about the "purple" ring, though.  He kept asking if I wouldn't like a diamond.  I told him, yes, I would, but I understood that wouldn't be possible.  Ron relaxed. 

About a week after that incident, and 10 days before Christmas, Ron suddenly yelled "I can't take it anymore!" and ran into the bedroom.  I was deeply alarmed until he came out with a ring box and got down on his knees. 

Of course I said yes, and he presented me with a very nice little diamond.  I knew it had taken more than he could spare, but he assured me he got it on sale, it was a real diamond, and offered to show me the certificate.  [later a jeweler said it was a "very nice little diamond" when she reset it for me, into a band with some other stones]. 

He told me his shopping companion had suggested he get a ring with lots of tiny diamond chips.  Ron chose a solitare, which is exactly the right choice.  Don't get me wrong, most women would consider it "tiny" but I love that ring. 

Happily, because I am good at hiding things, the burglars did not find my ring when they robbed me.  Thank you Jesus!  Many years ago, I bought some gemstones and a 5-stone ring setting, off the internet, when manic.  My money was better.  I got two tiny pink sapphires (my birthstone, which went on the far left and right), two purple garnets (Ron's birthstone), and had them placed on either side of the solitare.  So, it was pink, purple, diamond, purple, pink.  The jeweler loved the design.  So did I. 

Of course, I couldn't wear it at work.  My job is brutal for jewelry, so I keep it hidden away. 

My hands have lost weight, my "fat" titanium ring doesn't fit anymore.  My "real" wedding ring, also titanium, is too small for my ring finger and too large to be worn as a pinkie ring. 

So, after yet another LONG day at work, I went shopping online.  This is what I chose: 

I love purple, so this was a no-brainer: 
Stainless steel, CZ, "Love Token".  Very cute.  It ships from China and will take a while.   $7

This is also stainless with yellow stainless.  Lord's Prayer.  I thought it was cool. 
It cost about $10 or so. 

The metal should be a lot more durable than silver or gold, I don't have to worry about hurting it or washing my hands.  I have 2 nice choices and they both cost less than $20 together. 

I miss my wedding ring.  I want SOMETHING. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Induction reduction! I am on induction after a long slack! Your low carb success is showin in your last video! Very inspiring and goos for you.
I have to do old school DANDR it works and gives me goals. I like the adding of foods back, it makes me grateful for te simplicity of healthy food in limited amounts

Good luck, will pop in time to time.
I think the bands are so "you! " especially te purple one.